Club Championships 2024

Tyrone played in Croke Park this year.

We’ve tried to blood a few keepers since but they’re very raw and immature- liable to lose the head after a bad mistake. Morv just gets on with it.

Hennelly missed a few today that I thought he’d slot easily

Pull me up if I’ve been harsh but would Douglas be 1 of the big underachievers nationally, as far as I know members wise are the biggest club in Munster, dominated underage in Cork for a period, didn’t make the quarters in the Cork Hurling Championship.

Have great success underage but can’t bring iy through.

Enda Varley in charge this year.

1 Like

You cant trust lads that go back to a Hotel Bar for pints after a Championship game.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/MoysPhillyMc/status/1833228683726708803?t=o4eLCOg6IE3njTmMQ5MjsQ&s=19

Another Monday night epic in Tyrone.

This is very funny, I’m just off the phone with Paudge Quinn there and he was saying how Killyclogher beat Omagh by a point yesterday with a last minute goal.After he scored the forward went straight up to the full backs face roaring at him. The full back ( who’s also a boxer) hit him with a haymaker and knocked him clean out. They couldn’t get him revived and they made an announcement in the ground asking for a doctor. Turns out the only doctor in the ground was the full back that hit him so he attended to him :joy: Only in Tyrone. :joy::joy::joy:

12 Likes

If you’re gonna go up roaring like that I’m afraid you best expect a haymaker.

Interesting to see Paul Galvin back with Kilmacud this year.

I thought he was run out of the place after one session last year? Cc @Spidey

Very twee.

1 Like

Gameday 5 and the final round robin games of the Dublin SHC are on this weekend.

Group 1:

This is the more straightforward group with Na Fianna, Kilmacud and Lucan all already guaranteed knockout hurling. However the final placings for all three still remain to be decided. Cuala and Brigids will have relegation playoffs in a fortnight.

Na Fianna vs Lucan
All eyes here will be on new Dublin senior boss Niall O’ Ceallachain after his appointment in midweek. He knows that a win here for his Naf team will secure top spot in the group and progression to a semi final. This is a repeat of last years semi final where NaF came quickly out of the blocks and held on to win. Lucan are doughty and did well to secure a draw last day out vs Kilmacud. The loss of goalkeeper Sean McClelland to injury in the closing minutes the last day could tip the scales in favour of Na Fianna if he fails to be fit.

Kilmacud vs St Brigids
Kilmacud will be kicking themselves after snatching a draw from the jaws of victory the last day out vs Lucan. You’d imagine they will be looking to avenge that vs a very low on confidence Brigids. I’d be shocked if Brigids can keep this under a 20 point hammering. Success for them will be not getting any injuries or suspensions before their relegation playoffs.

Group 2
Vincents already have top spot secured here. Ballyboden have 2nd place also secured. All other teams have a shot at 3rd place. However you could realistically rule out Craobh as they need some really outlandish results in order to progress.

Ballyboden vs Craobh Chiarain
Hard to look past Boden here. They have had a couple of facile wins vs Judes and Whitehall after an opening day loss to Vins. Craobh are really rueing that slow start vs Whitehall on gameday 1 which has really left them playing catch up. I expect Boden to win by nearly double figures.

Judes vs Whitehall
This is the tie of the round. A draw will suffice for Whitehall, while Judes need the win. Judes possibly have a more balanced team, while Whitehall rely on the star names to propel them. Cormac Costello is named to start. I doubt he will start but his introduction from the bench will surely be enough to see Whitehall get over the line.

3 Likes

Feck, didn’t see that coming at the end. Bellew is some warrior. 16 points from Coffey, he was excellent again. Lucan will be very happy tonight, played alot better than they have so far. Not sure if Na Fianna were playing to the same intensity as Lucan played too.
Was in O’Toole earlier. CC very very poor. Hard to believe they’re of Senior standard. On Boden, it was all very easy for them. McMorrow was the standout, he was excellent. Hammersely caught a great ball and crashed a lovely goal. They played 3 inside but have no real pace in there to frighten the big teams. I don’t believe they would have qualified from the other group, in fact I’m sure of it.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/dubgaaofficial/status/1835020933846716639?s=46&t=mqzTzgmAsmn_yRTvOWvmPg

1 Like

A feast of football in the South-East and Leinster this weekend.

In Wexford Kilanerin, Glynn Barntown, Crossabeg-Ballymurn, Starlights and St Annes were all involved in a final day battle to stay in the Championship. Castletown were the only side guaranteed their place in the quarters coming into the weekend in the SFC group of death. The North county men from Kilanerin turning in a big display to oust St Anne’s1-12 to 0-9 and send the latter into a relegation final against HWH Bunclody. It’s Bunclody’s 2nd such final in 3 seasons having relegated the Martin’s in 2022.

Quarter-final line up is:
Shels v Glynn-Barntown: I’d fancy the Shels.
Sarsfields v Castletown: Should be a Castletown win.
Naomh Éanna v Crossabeg-Ballymurn where I’d fancy Crossabeg who are flying it in the football this year.
Gusserane v Kilanerin: A real toss up. Gusserane have had the better year thus far but Kilanerin finally seem to be finding a bit form after a draw with Castletown and victory over the Anne’s.

In the intermediate the quarter-final line-up is:
Unbeaten Horeswood against Ballyhogue
Rathgarogue-Cushinstown (Junior All-Ireland finalists in 2020) v a much improved St Fintan’s.
Adamstown v Fethard
St Mary’s Maudlintown v St Martin’s.
Ferns have seemed to place all their focus on the hurling and the beaten finalists of 2020 are in danger of slipping down to Intermediate A unless they can oust St Mary’s Rosslare in the relegation final.

In the Wicklow SFC there were some major quarter-final shocks as Dunlavin dumped out competition favourites An Tóchar and Kiltegan reached a semi-final too. Tinahealy beat Rathnew 2-14 to 0-15 and AGB’s long wait for Miley continues after a one point defeat to Baltinglass. Last years champions Blessington are in a relegation final.

Carlow SFC semi-finals will see Éire Óg v Palatine and Old Leighlin v Rathvilly. Intermediate semis are Kildavin Clonegal v Tullow and Grange v Fenagh. 8 teams per grade in Cake Curran’s new hunting ground.

I noted that a depleted Portarlington team had an uplifting 1-10 to 1-8 success against Ballyroan Abbey this weekend. Pádraig McMahon of Laois fame appears to be captain for the latter. Some warrior at around the 40 mark. Portlaoise with a serious statement of intent when beating last years champions St Joseph’s by 5 goals. O’ Dempseys beat Arles-Killeen in one of the other quarters. Meanwhile former Carlow footballer Lee Walker proved the difference as Graiguecullen defeated near neighbours Killeshin 1-14 to 1-11 in a spicy last 8 tie.

Last but not least it would be remiss of me not to mention Johnny Doyle’s final game in the Allenwood colours following their defeat to Athy this weekend. What a servant. I wouldn’t be surprised if he reneged and played a bit of Junior B for a few years yet.

8 Likes

Poor aul Cody will be feeling the pressure in the next few weeks. A relegation final is not where James stephens would expect to be. The only club who have never been relegated from senior in kilkenny.

Dare I say bigger pressure than anytime he was on the sideline in Croke Park, Eoin Larkin was involved with Rathnure for their relegation in Wexford too last year so he’ll be feeling the pressure just as much.

Patrickswell v Kilmallock a strange choice for TG4 next weekend, 2 traditional clubs with alot of high profile players involved but it’s a dead rubber game, surprised QF in Clare or Cork wasn’t picked up.

A belated update on the final round of group games in the Dublin SHC.

Group 1.

The turkey shoot for Kilmacud Crokes vs Brigids was well forecast and no surprise. The drama in this group was in the Lucan vs Na Fianna game where a last second Lucan goal from John Bellew secured a one point win. NaF seemed to be going through the motions and three very well worked goals were keeping their noses in front. Lucan were very sharp throughout barely hitting a wide. Ben Coffey and Ciaran Dowling clipping 9 points from play between them. Bellew was excellent at the back, a warrior as @Loko_Cove said previously. He’s probably the most improved player in Dublin in my eyes. His finish for the goal was excellent but NaF will have nightmares about the defending prior to the shot.

Group 2

@Loko_Cove gave a report on the Boden vs Craobh game. Boden had it won at half time with a 10 point lead and managed it out from there.

In the other game which was basically knock out, Whitehall cruised to a handy win over Judes. They were 8 points up at half time and managed it from there. Cormac Costello started and was a threat. Should have gotten a goal. They are a limited outfit who won’t win the championship but should be commended for doing so well so far. Judes were very disappointing. Tried to play “modern” hurling with players who are no where near capable of it. Would be a lot better off playing to their strengths.

All of the above leaves us with the following.

Semi finalists:
St Vincents and Kilmacud Crokes (They can’t play each other in the semis)

Quarter finals:
Lucan vs Whitehall
Ballyboden vs Na Fianna

Relegation playoffs: (2 teams go down)
Craobh Chiarain vs St Brigids
Cuala vs St Judes

4 Likes

Robbie off to Meath at end of our season in January 2025