Club Championships 2024

No Julio, had it on clubber

Results from the weekend went along as I called above although a few scorelines were a bit misleading.

In the first Group 1 game in O’ Toole Park Na Fianna dished out a hammering to Brigids. In fairness to Brigids they started brightly but Na Fiannas ability to create and execute goals had them about 7 points ahead coming up to half time. Then Brigids keeper Alan Nolan got a straight red card for a combination of a high tackle, stamp and punch when coming out with a ball. Some poor cratur was put in for the second half who had never played anywhere near this level and had conceded three more goals by the end of the 3rd quarter. Brigids main forward Paul Winters was then sent off for a high pull and the game peetered out to a flat end. Na Fianna had a good spread of scorers up front but Donal Burke was quiet. Himself and Liam Rushe were both taken off early with injuries.

In the second game Kilmacud made heavy weather of beating a game but limited Cuala team. They went in at half time only two points up after dominating and missing three clear goal chances including a penalty. Cuala then capitalized on a five minute purple second half patch to take a surprise lead and a shock seemed on the cards with a quickfire 1-2. Crokes steadied thing and clipped 3 goals in the final 20mins to run out deserved winners. Liam Murphy and Jamie Conroy were decent up front for Cuala. Brendan Kenny, Dara Purcell and Brian Hayes were best for Crokes. Ronan Hayes looked sharp too but left two goals behind him.

The group 2 double header took place in Parnell park. In the first game St Judes gave Vincents a game for long periods but ultimately a lack of forward power up front cost them. Danny Sutcliffe lined out at 6 and was good there. However he was missed at the other end once Vincents got a handle on Joe McManus and John Carty who had good opening halves. Vins had that cutting edge up front with the afforementioned Hedgo and Darach McBride clipping 10 points from play between them.

The other game in this group saw the only bookies upset of the weekend with Whitehall overturning Craobh. It was the Eoghan O Donnell show who played at full forward with 6 on his back. He was like a minor playing against under 14s. Most Whitehall scores came from him scoring, assisting or being fouled. Craobh were also brutal and the halftime score of 3-8 to 1-1 told a sorry tale. They rallied a bit in the 2nd half to put a bit of respectability on the scoreline but the damage was done.

There is a quick turnaround now with Gameday 2 this coming weekend. I’ll throw up a preview during the week.

7 Likes

Didn’t realise Craobh would be favourites for that. They’re newly promoted aren’t they? I have a recent liking for them thanks to the antics of the “Irish Black Hurler” on social media and the praise of their clubhouse on here. Was Cormac Costello hurling for Whitehall? Lee Gannon out for the year I presume?

Craobh won Senior B last year while Whitehall avoided relegation. The Craobh hurler you referenced wouldnt be the nicest person in the world. Had a high profile case a few years A great club though with great people. Have done unreal to stay Senior up to now with tiny numbers compared to their competitors. I think this might be the last we see of them at this level.

The two boys were named to start for Whitehall but didn’t.

2 Likes

@kerry1891 @Julio_Geordio who’s coaching the big teams in Kerry this year? Any Limerick men down there?

Barry Hennessy (Lixnaw)

John Meyler (Kilmoyley)

There is a Clareman Frances O’Hallaron over Abbeydorney

Stephan Goggin local man over Causeway - Brian Culhbert Clare is in his backroom team

1 Like

Culbert is still coaching Kilmaley afaik, must be a consultant type gig

You could do both probably, Kerry champ is over for Causeway already, would be over regardless in a few weeks

1 Like

The Tipperary Divisional Championship Finals produced some great entertainment over the weekend.

Very exciting finishes to the Premier Intermediate Finals in the West and North along with the North Senior Final.

Clubber really is a brilliant service - great to be able to watch back on the matches.

The two Clonoulty Rossmore lads commentating on the West games are good entertainment.

3 Likes

I see the UN won a thriller against Annacarty (3-27 to 1-30) The Bainisteoir even alluded to how fine a team they have on paper in the interview afterwards.

Picture becoming a lot clearer in the Senior Championship now after Kiladangan and Loughmore wins.

Both should progress through their Groups so wont be any Preliminary Quarter Finals needed.

Group A of the Senior Championship is the toughest Group on paper with Drom, Toome, Borrisileigh and Kilruane there and no safety net for any of them from the Divisional Championship.

If i was to pick two to come through from there now it would be Drom and Toome. I believe Martin Maher has joined the Boriisieigh set up which will be a boost though.

Who were they?

Michael Ryan Winnie and Stephen Ferncombe I think

3 Likes

Who won the Premier Intermediate finals?

Cashel, Burgess, Upperchurch and Swan

1 Like

Who did Burgess beat in the final?

Silvermines I think I saw

1 Like

Why haven’t the West copied the South and made a proper championship with Clonoulty as well?

That was the way it was in 2023 but there was a Boardroom decision taken last winter to change it.

It might well revert back next year.

West:
Senior: Not Played as Clonoulty only senior side
Premier Intermediate: Cashel defeated Eire Og
Intermediate: To be played this weekend - Golden v Cappawhite

South:
Senior and Premier Intermediate combined: Swan defeated Killenaule
Intermediate: Ballingarry defeated Kilsheelan

Mid:
Senior: Loughmore defeated Moycarkey
Premier Intermediate: Upperchurch defeated Thurles Sars
Intermediate: To be played this weekend - Drom Inch v Upperchurch