Club Championships 2024

hindered by their club championships.

For hurling mad county tipp don’t win too many all Irelands.

winning All Ireland Club Championships is what you are referring to is it?

Toomevara really should of won an All Ireland when they were dominant, Thurles Sars should possibly too but winter hurling didn’t suit them.

Two reasons why Tipp clubs havn’t won more in my mind:

• Club teams in Tipp, for the most part, are fairly stylish and tippy tappy and winter hurling doesn’t suit that

• The talent is fairly spread out throughout the county - of all the big population area’s - Thurles Sars are the only real big club - Nenagh Eire Og don’t get as much success off their population whilst Clonmel is a football/soccer town

From the outside looking in just seems tipp has a lot of rural clubs. Means the standard isn’t as high as maybe some other counties who have four or five very strong clubs.

That makes it trickier for the Tipp senior team as the higher the standard of your club championship makes it easier to develop lads.

that’s just my theory I could be wrong.

Id say in Limerick that’s been a big benefit of the academy you’ve 20/30 lads invariably from a good spread of clubs at 18 going playing adult club hurling with a very good grounding. It’s raised the standards a lot.

I always had a theory in Ireland where nearly everyone plays soccer at lunch time that if there was way less soccer clubs the standard underage would be much higher.

There used to nearly more football soccer clubs than gaa in west Limerick but at under 12s and 14s the standard was horrible. There would always be 2 or 3 good players on every team but that was it.

I wondered if there was 20 clubs and the standard was amazing would it benefit in around about way.

But look at Limerick - take the top four teams out of it and the the rest of the standard is fairly poor.

Like I don’t think Tipp’s championship is weaker compared to other counties - I think TIpp have some very even championships - they are just lacking in All Ireland contenders.

Like I would guess that the middle of the road senior teams in Tipp are better than their equivalent in Limeick for instance. Saying that - I was surprised Roscrea were defeated by Monaleen two years ago in the Munster Intermediate Final.

1 Like

Ya I guess you could argue it either way but tipp don’t win as much as they should for a county that’s so interested in hurling. It just seems
A little odd to me.

Tipperary have won 61 All Irelands and 106 Munster Championships across Senior, U20/21 and Minor.

For context, Limerick have 21 All Irelands and 43 Munster Championships across the grades.

Tipperary’s Club All Ireland record is poor but Munster Club’s record in general has been terrible for a fair while now - albeit, the odds are stacked against Munster teams in my opinion. and at that Tipp Clubs have won more Munster Clubs than all other counties except Cork.

Have tipp 6 senior all Irelands won in the last 50 years?

That’s awful for a county as hurling mad as Tipp.

Tipp have 6 in 35 or 1 every 6 years since the famine ended.

Kilkenny haven’t won one in a decade and Cork nearly 20 years.

These things happen.

1 Like

Major shock on the cards as Ballyheigue lead by 4 in extra time against last year’s champions Crotta

1 Like

Abbeydorney beat Brendans (Ardfert). I’d say that was expected. Ardfert are gone poor

Ballyduff also through.

Causeway v Kilmoyley throws in shortly in the last QF. Causeway will be favs. Kilmoyley have a few big injuries

1 Like

Ballyheigue win! Crotta are out. A seismic shock. Ballyheigue had hardly won a championship game in a decade prior to this year.

1 Like

I d say Ballyheigue were 4\1 to win?

Easily I’d say although it finished a draw in normal time so it would have been fuck all use to a fella. Wouldn’t have backed it anyway

Kilmoyley lead 2-9 to 4 near half time.

Kilmoyley cling on to win by three.

Ballyduff v Kilmoyley
Ballyheigue v Abbeydorney

The draw is stacked on one side. Great chance for the Heigers or O’Dorney to reach a final.

Ballyduff the team to beat. But that was big for Kilmoyley today. Won walking wounded

Double header next Saturday I hear.

1 Like

Where were those games on today?

If I’d remembered, I’d nearly have gone to one since I’m down here anyway.

some opportunity for Ballyheigue and Abbeydorney, No one would have predicted the way things have played out for Ballyheigue and not many would have tipped Abbeydorney to get a final either

good matches this weekend

Always in stacks bar it’s not available. Double headers usually

1 Like

Were you down for it?