Club Championships 2024

The Left Wing Back have just uploaded a podcast preview which I will give a listen to tomorrow at some stage. Link just below. A kind of mini Up For The Match type build up for all 3 grades.

I reckon it’s the 8th time since 2013 that MLR and St Mullins have clashed in the final. Incredible to think that Rangers had never won a senior title until 2006. About 18 years after their amalgamation. Last years captain Diarmuid Byrne has missed all of the championship thus far for MLR through injury. That coupled with the absence of Chris Nolan and Fiachra Fitzpatrick forced them to bind together a very young side in the group stages. Although Nolan is back for Sunday’s showpiece event, Fitzpatrick misses out to the best of my knowledge due to the confrontation at the end of their facile group win against Bagenalstown. His younger brother Conaill has had a great championship at midfield by all accounts, former Carlow stalwart Eddie Byrne dangerous on the square at 14. Ted Joyce has been a standout for them. A player who wasn’t part of the Carlow panel in recent years but would still only be 29ish.

St Mullins topped the round robin for the second consecutive season but that doesn’t always translate to the knockout stages and they were ambushed by Rangers in last years final. An 8 point deficit is a big gap to overturn in 12 months but the draw between the sides in late June is perhaps a better gauge. Mouse Kavanagh is still finding his form after a return from injury and was held quite well by Alfie Corcoran in the semi-final replay. A rare occasion where he actually failed to score from play. St Mullins are coached this season by the experienced Tommy Buggy from Castlecomer who presided over a senior title with them as far back as 2002. On paper you’d probably lean slightly towards St Mullins but ultimately in a 50-50 game I’m going to predict an MLR victory. I backed them at the outset of the championship and I’ll stick with that prediction. They were the more impressive in the semi-finals.

Bar the St Mullins lads who venture to Good Counsel then I’d say a fair chunk of the finalists on Sunday would be old school mates from Borris Vocational School. A unique scenario to see relatives and close friends clash with such regularity with 2008 being the last time that one of the two kingpins weren’t champions of Carlow.

St Mullins are 6/6 so far in the intermediate and I’d expect them to continue that against MLR on Saturday. They won by 8 when the sides clashed in the round robin. The experienced Seamus Murphy leading the St Mullins forward line, while Denis Murphy is back hurling and centre-forward for Rangers.

Burren Rangers are strong favourites to win the Junior Final against MLR’s 3rd team. Their centre-forward is a 45/46 year old who would’ve been part of the Myshall senior winning teams of 2003 and 05’. Otherwise they have a young team and a combination of Burren and Kildavin-Clonegal beat Clara of Kilkenny in the Carlow minor championship during the week. They seem to have added three Kilkenny clubs to the Carlow minor hurling championship this season.

2 Likes

@Bandage did you pop over to Parnell Park tonight? Sounded like a cracker. I’d still expect Raheny to be a bit of a dark horse and could cause problems for the big hitters later in the year. Good win for Na Fianna to get up and running and try to banish the ghosts of 2023.

Watched a bit of Crokes v Skerries. Crokes absolutely fell over the line for a finish and Skerries ought to have got an equaliser during a hectic end game before Tom Fox sealed the win for Crokes. Skerries are a coming team for sure.

Elsewhere in Galway Clarinbridge got up and running with a big win over Moycullen. They ought to be winning that handy and bigger tests lie ahead.

Christ, no.

4 Likes

Just to keep lads updated on happenings in the Wexford hurling championships last weekend.

St Martin’s got back to winning ways with a 0-25 to 2-17 victory against Faythe Harriers. Rory O’ Connor scoring 6 points from play in the final 20 minutes. St Martin’s sit on 4 points having won 2 from 3, while the Harriers are on 2 points having lost to Shels on the opening night as well. Teams are listed below.

Shels maintained their 100% record in Group B with a hard fought victory against the Rapps 1-19 to 1-17. The 2021 champions are still waiting to get on the board but will be heartened by the huge improvement from the Cloughbawn game and the cameo appearance by Liam Ryan.

Oylegate made hard work of Cloughbawn before eventually prevailing by 3 (2-16 to 3-10). The Dessie Mythen managed finalists from last year were reeled in after opening up an 8 point lead but a late goal from Joe Dunne sealed a second win for them in the closing stages.

St Anne’s are flying in Group A and stormed back (against the wind) to overturn a 5 point half-time deficit and beat Ferns 1-21 to 1-17. Kyle Kennedy has really risen in stature for the Rathangan men and tallied another 1-8 here. I reckon he’s around the 24 years of age mark.

Oulart succumbed to a three point loss against Gorey. The reigning champions sustaining their unbeaten run thanks to a late flurry of scores (2-20 to 2-17). The 16 wides will be a concern but they secured the victory without the services of Conor McDonald.

Not even the return of Paudie Foley could help Crossabeg as they fell to a 9 point reversal against Glynn-Barntown (2-15 to 1-9).

There were a couple of New Ross district derbies up for decision in the Intermediate with Fethard securing a first victory of the campaign against Horeswood 0-24 to 1-16) and Gusserane producing a very impressive 2-19 to 1-11 win against Taghmon. Bunclody made it 3/3 with a convincing 3-24 to 0-19 win against Tara Rocks and St James’ did likewise after they edged out Craanford on a scoreline of 2-19 to 1-18. Rathnure asserted their dominance in Group A with a commanding 12 point victory against Askamore (2-23 to 1-14). While Blackwater proved to be a banana skin for Buffers Alley yet again as the sides played out a 0-16 to 1-13 draw. Although the Alley played most of the game with 14 men and will be relieved to avoid a second consecutive defeat against their near neighbours.

Geraldine O’ Hanrahans will gleam huge satisfaction from their 2-18 to 0-17 success against Adamstown in the Intermediate A derby clash, while Davidstown annexed a 12 point victory against Ballygarrett. How the latter could do with the services of a player like Cathal Dunbar. Clongeen secured their first win at Intermediate A since 2014 after a 5 point win against St Mary’s Rosslare of Liam Griffin fame. One of the pre-tournament favourites Cushinstown had a low key 0-20 to 1-12 win against Shels B but another (Liam Mellows) slipped to a surprising 1-21 to 1-17 defeat against St Martin’s second string. Interesting to note that former AFL player Barry O’ Connor contributed to that win before making a substitute appearance for the seniors. Former Wexford underage players Luke Kavanagh and Aaron Maddock also lined out the Martin’s B. While FOTF Peter Mernagh scored 4 from play as Monageer beat Oulart’s second string 3-20 to 1-18. Rory Jacob chipping in with a point for Oulart.

10 Likes

Plenty of tight wins - Scariff, Feakle and Crusheen will all be very happy with their wins. There isn’t a huge difference between 10 or so of the sides in the championship and often teams who make the latter stages struggle to get back the following year so all three will be happy.

Clonlara were very impressive for 45 minutes or so against Ballyea and had the game put to bed early, the three lads on the extended Clare panel all really stood out and Stritch and Collins add more scoring threat compared to last years side. Ballyea looked very rusty but stuck with it, they will only improve for the match.

Éire Og got a massive result v Clooney, they had three lads just out of minor starting who gave them a bit of freshness while Oran Cahill looked in fine form, they also have Fionnan Treacy to come back into the side. Clooney badly missed Shane McNamara and John Conneally, would righty strengthen them, they have some excellent young hurlers coming through, they are a match for anyone with a full hand.

I expected a bit more from Corofin as kilmaley were down a few and had a number of lads out of position but it didn’t make a difference. Looks like they will be up against it to survive.

Inamona the big losers of the weekend but they do have three or four quality hurlers to come into the starting team which will make a difference. There will surely be a kick in them and they are capable of beating both broadford and the mills to get out the group. Young Fred Hegarty carried the fight throughout which was good to see, he has plenty of skill and confidence but is probably short in other areas but good to see him battling hard, his cousin James had a tough day on Patrick Crotty before being pushed into the forwards.

1 Like

Two traditional goalies on show on TG4 here

Indeed. Kevin Kehoe and Sean Grennan would be two portly gentleman.

Rangers looking a good bit better so far as most people expected.

Look to be the better team even against the wind.

I doubt there will be 30 on the field at the end

That might wake St Mullins up. Very poor from Dean Grennan.

Short lived. A cracking Rangers goal in response.

Great 4 minutes there

The 2nd MLR goal was a cracker

Dean Grennan is just shocking in goal. Rangers have done nearly all the hurling. They should have it wrapped up already.

That was a great end to the 1st half, 2 cracking goals from St Mullins. They are back in it now.

There’s great cut in it. It’s fiery enough in the stand as well.

1 Like

Sparse enough crowd though.

It’s poor. Lot of people on holidays on August. County hurling final crowds well down in Carlow since the advent of the split season and early August finals.

As it should be. Nice point by Mullins there.

Wow

Only catching the last few minutes of this. Who is the co commentator? Seems to have done his homework on Carlow hurling or is he a native with first hand experience on the ground? As I type a draw game, big deflection for the goal. WTF is happening?

Rangers really blew that. You just knew Mouse would get a goal to either win it or level it.

Naoise Waldron

1 Like