Club Championships 2024

I was standing in the sitting room watching the last 10 mins of that (as happens when you randomly throw on a game and get hooked on it) and I nearly bursht the light fixture in the room when that goal went in.

What drama! St Mullins had 2 bad wides about 57/ 58 mins when they were 2 down. MLR went up and got a point and i thought that was that. Then it looked like a deflection of a helmet for the goal. MLR will be sick.

Both teams had terrible wides in the 2nd half

Great to see the legendary Pat Ahern there taking photos if I’m not mistaken

The wind was very deceptive in the second half. It was blowing straight down the field towards the Oak Road End in the first half but was more of a swirling cross field win the end in the second half. Not easy conditions for shooting.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens as regards the replay now. The mood afterwards was that both teams want a two week break, a number of players seemingly going on holidays too before the football championship starts in two weeks time. St Mullins semi final against Bagenalstown went to a replay and extra time so today was the 6th weekend in a row that St Mullins were hurling.

Such is the fanaticism of the split season zealots when it comes to the calendar now, no doubt they’ll have the replay next Sunday.

2 Likes

Couple of uncharacteristic wides by Mouse but he came up trumps at the very end. Bizarre scenes at the end with St Mullins lads celebrating, presumably they thought they’d won a free but it wasn’t even in scoring territory. Maybe just the relief of snatching a second chance. Donagh Murphy was very good for MLR I thought, Edward Byrne as well, although he’ll probably be frustrated about the last ball that Paul Doyle drove out with ultimately led to the equalising goal.

Straight into Intermediate football for St Mullins and senior for MLR the weekend after next. Whoever plays those two will be licking their lips as they’ll have little or no football played and will be just out of the pub. Former Laois All-Ireland winning minor Chris Conway is coaching the MLR footballers this year apparently.

What actually happened seemingly was there was a scoreboard malfunction and Rangers last point was initially recorded, then taken down. Some of the St Mullins players thought they were 2 behind when Mouse got the goal at the end.

I’m away on holidays midweek for 10 days so will miss the replay.

I see Slaughtneil ended the Watty’s 3 year unbeaten run in Derry. Glen still very likely to qualify for the knockouts anyway though.

Great to see Johnny Doyle scoring a goal in the Kildare SFC at the age of 46. He could make it to 50 playing first team football as it stands.

1 Like

The Watty’s will be fine.

4 teams qualify from 6 so its harder get knocked out than to qualify.

Big Dougie full back was making his first appearance since the Club All Ireland after spending 6 months topping up his tan in Australia.

Not the best weekend of the year Club wise.

https://twitter.com/clubber/status/1823708431485734914

Sunday’s knockout hurling tie between Ballygunner and De La Salle looks to be the Game of the Week™ cc @Cheasty

All the County Board officials are heading to Stradbally.

Round 3 of the Dublin SHC returns this weekend with the following fixtures.

Group 1

This was probably the tougher group when the draw was made and the two draws in it the last day keep it interesting. Kilmacud Crokes have a bye this weekend.

Na Fianna vs Cuala
Cuala have surprised me this year so far with their performances and results in the opening two games. The gave Kilmacud bother for long periods and got a surprise draw with Lucan. This is with a team that only contains three players from their AI winning teams. However they need a result here to get to the knockout stages. Whether King Con plays will be the big question. He was seen hurling in Carlow last Monday night. Na Fianna might be disappointed not to have won last day out vs Crokes. They are a team who get goals. 7 in their opening two games. If they can keep that up you’d fancy them here.

St Brigids vs Lucan
Brigids return after their bye. They were hammered in round 1 by Na Fianna. However now they have to contend without keeper Alan Nolan and main forward Paul Winters who picked up red cards the last day out. I think this is a bridge too far and think Lucan can really do a number on them here. Lucan will be disapponted to let a lead slip vs Cuala and draw the last day out. Ben Coffey was flying that day and if he repeat this form I expect an easy win for Lucan.

Group 2.
This group is a little more clean cut after the last day. Judes have a bye this week.

St Vincents vs Craobh Chiarain
A local derby vs two teams going into the game on the back of contrasting openings to the championship. Vins are in pole position to top this group after 2 wins from 2. Craobh have a solitary point from 2 games. However games are historically close between these teams though. Add into the mixture of the Hetherton brothers marking each other makes this interesting. Vins are unable to put away teams while Craobh have a great never say die attitude. I’ll go with a comprehensive 5 point win for Vins here after a tough battle.

Ballyboden vs Whitehall
Boden were really poor the last day out still relying on the older brigade. Whitehall had a great opening day win vs Craobh with Eoghan O Donnell doing wreck at 14. Rumour is that he is unavailable for this game. If that is the case I expect Boden to have too much quality all over the field to win with a bit to spare.

7 Likes

You’d enjoy this statistical bonanza @ChairmanDan . Every Rathnure senior championship campaign since 1943. Alan Aherne reckons the 83 consecutive seasons of senior hurling will never be repeated.

Fossa have gone to Strand Road and dumped hot favourites Kerins O’Rahelly’s OUT of the Kerry Intermediate Football Championship.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/patcashhealy/status/1824883114742780271?t=2ICjofwf9glYY8lYss6HuQ&s=19

Arkle :clap: cc @BruidheanChaorthainn

4 Likes

Some research but a bit much recording every single senior result. I mean, does anyone care who rathnure met in round 3 of the 2016 championship.

Clifford is in the Joe Canning class of oddballs recording him for full club games on the blower so they can post any relevant magic to social medjia. And god bless those oddballs for their service.

4 Likes

I think a lad (not Alan Aherne) wrote a book with all that data in it.

He probably figured out that life is totally pointless and just wanted something harmless to do.

1 Like

The Wexford GAA bible is some body of work too. U14 A finalists listed back to the 60’s and the likes.

It’s some publication alright. Dominic Williams is a fair historian.