Club Championships 2024

I heard King Henry over the weekend but that could just be a natural reverse to the MD switch

Heard Ciaran Kilkenny gave an exhibition in the Junior B championship the weekend.

Thatā€™s the clubā€™s second team. Didnā€™t think he was gonna play this year

Brian Howard came on for Raheny at senior B this weekend. Never knew he hurled at all.

Kilkenny was a flaking hurler underage. Saw him at Sen B though about 2 years ago and he struggled though.

They all want to be like Con now.

1 Like

It would actually endear a lot of people to those Dublin footballers if they went back and gave hurling a right go.

There was several of them who were good underage hurlers wasnā€™t there? Costello as well if I recall correctly.

I remember Setenta showed highlights of the Feile back in 2007 and Castleknock won it out with Ciaran Kilkenny the star of the show - would love to see him lining out for the Dublin hurlers. Not sure if that is likely at this stage.

Would never be able to get up to that pace now being out of the game for so long.

1 Like

Bugler togged out for Plunketts too and got 1-1

Costello was unreal. MOTM in the 2012 minor final

2 Likes

Unfortunately, from a hurling fanā€™s point of view, he was also MOTM in the football final that year.

2 Likes

That their 1st team?

No, 2nd team in Junior A.

1 Like

I think @Fat_Pox had Paul Oā€™ Brien down on the list of 10-12 contenders for the Dublin senior hurling job but 1 county title from 3 is a poor enough return in MLR. Albeit thereā€™s the caveat of the red card. I think Rangers also had a man sent off when St Mullins last beat them in a final back in 2019. Where had Oā€™ Brien coached before this?

Iā€™d have him ahead of Shane O Brien anyways but behind Joe Fortune.

Coached Dublin minors in 16 to a Leinster final win after taking them through dev squads. That group now backbone the Dublin seniors. Donal Burke, Conor Burke, Paddy Smyth, Conor Donohoe, Sean Currie, Cian O Sullivan.

Managed Dublin 20s to an all Ireland final loss in 2020/21 vs Cork. Had his time with MLR then.

Shane O Brien has had the last two years with the 20 and done okay though playing a putrid Derek McGrath style and most notably no silverware.

Shaneā€™s Cuala brogue might entice the decison makers more than Paulā€™s Crumlin one.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ourgamehq/status/1825590045140476120?s=46

6 Likes

Didnā€™t realise he was over that Dublin team. I remember them beating Wexford in the Leinster final in 2016 alright. Rory Oā€™ Connor was sent-off at the end of it and couldnā€™t play the AI quarter-final against Limerick then. Think they gave Wexford a good beating in the Leinster 20ā€™s semi-final in Dr. Cullen Park in 2020 too.

Junior B in Tipperary is serious stuff.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/gaaclare/status/1825851245619245495?s=46&t=bi9TPLB4aIa07RQv_xWOxQ

Moving week in the Clare senior championship

Group A
Eire Og v Clonlara live on tg4 Sunday, both sides with opening round wins and will be feeling good about their chances. Eire Og had three lads straight out of minor and another couple of young lads starting in round 1 from the side which lost the county final 2 years ago which had freshened them up. They also have Fionnan Treacy the impressive clare minor full back from 2022 who looked very comfortable at corner back for them last year still to return.
Clon have moved Dylan McMahon back to full back with Colm Galvin moving back to six while Diarmuid Stritch looked very sharp at wing forward last week and Michael Collins firing over 3 or 4 points too.
Winners will be favourites to lift the Canon Hamilton.

Clooney Quin v Ballyea is Friday night, CQ could easily have won first day out v Eire Og, they left multiple goal chances behind them turned down straightforward point chances trying to engineer goals too. I was somewhat impressed by them considering they were missing their 3 and 6 from last year, Grogan who deputised at centre back did a commendable job on SOD. Ballyea looked like they were facing down a 15 point beating but kept battling away but they looked very rusty. Given the pace CQ have, I find it hard to see how Ballyea can live with them. Whoever loses is as good as out and into the relegation play offs.

Group 2
Double header in the park on Sunday.
Feakle v Kilmaley, both sides with a win on the board, Feakle are solid out and were full value for their hard fought win over Cratloe in round 1 while Kilmaley walked all over Corofin last time out. If Kilmaley can grind out a win here they will start getting some more respect as contenders.
Cratloe lost three lads to injury v Feakle, not sure if any will play v Corofin but they should get by without them here. Looking like a short year for Corofin who will do well to survive at senior.

Group 3
Scariff to beat Broadford and all but book a quarter final spot with a match to spare.
Inamona will surely have a reaction in them and badly need Aidan Mc and a few others like Conor Hegarty and Keith White back to add a bit more guile to things. The Mills are a stubborn enough side who will also be annoyed with their showing first day out. If inamona arenā€™t right they will come acropper again.

Group 4
Another group with the opening round winners facing off. Sixmilebridge v Crusheen, the bridge did what they had to do the last day out while Crusheen were impressive against Newmarket. We will have a better gauge of both after this.
Newmarket had a couple of young bucks at corner back the last day out who did not go well. Barefield will fancy their chances here and I think they might well get the win here.

4 Likes

He was also in with Mattie Kenny during Kennyā€™s first year over Dublin seniors. Heā€™s also been GDO in DCU for over ten years at this stage. Good coach alright.

1 Like

Seven games being streamed and the 8th on tg4, a man who might be inclined can watch all 8 games for ā‚¬40

https://twitter.com/gaaclare/status/1826179543087919545?s=46&t=bi9TPLB4aIa07RQv_xWOxQ