Club Championships 2024

Any Limerick GAA style predictions for the upcoming Carlow football championships @ChairmanDan.

I’d go:
Senior: Éire Óg to beat Rathvilly in the final
Relegation from senior: Clonmore. They’re in an awful group with Éire Óg, Rathvilly and Pal.

Intermediate: Tullow to beat Kildavin-Clonegal in the final.
Intermediate relegation: St Mullins. They’ve won 3 promotions in a row but the effects of the hurling celebrations and not seeing a football until two days before a condensed championship could leave them vulnerable to the drop.

Junior A: The Fighting Cocks to beat Ballon in the final. The most difficult grade to call though with O’ Hanrahans, Kilbride and Leighlinbridge potential winners too.
Relegation: Pal 2 maybe.

Junior B: Rathvilly 2

Junior C: Tullow 2

https://twitter.com/TyronegaaNews/status/1826369771472126219?t=ko-s-pB3kT-Aypjf6U_a5Q&s=19

Things exactly as tight as you’d want them in Tyrone heading in to the final week of the League. cc @Cheasty

McGinley looks to have Errigal purring.

2 Likes

Is there anyone in Tyrone who could really have a crack at Ulster? Errigal Ciaran gave enough of it to Glen 2 years ago, and you’d imagine they will be a sneaky bet if they can win Tyrone. Canavan x2 is a lot of firepower on its own.

Trillick had a good win last year too over a hapless Cross, and probably should have seen out Scotstown who as we know are a serious outfit. I think it would be good for the football club series (which is by far and away streets ahead of the hurling) to have a Tyrone side give a right rattle.

1 Like

I would say Errigal would have a right shot at it if they get out.

Still think its between Glen and Kilcoo again this year.

Trillick will have mattie Donnelly back if they could get out but it’s impossible to do back to back in Tyrone.

Listen to a few of the hurling based podcasts, working from home gives you the time, Tipp Cast is very good Shane Brophy and Stapleton know they’re stuff, as mentioned on another thread Maroon and White depending on the guests can very entertaining, Kilkenny now KCLR podcast can be quite loose and Eddie Scally bias towards Kilkenny during the intercounty season can be hilarious, I’d say if Kilkenny were playing Man City in a soccer match he’d predict a Kilkenny win, the Matt O’Callaghan fella on the Treaty Talk podcast is hilariously bias too.

1 Like

Shane Stapleton lives in Dublin and attends very few games. He reads the nenagh gaurdian before every podcast to keep him up to speed.
It’s a good production but Saint is obsessed with his native Borris and he likes to gloss over all the premier intermediate & intermediate games.

Brophy is excellent although he has a weird habit of coughing, spluttering and swallowing his flim.

2 Likes

Paul Carroll when he’s on is very good too

I’d like to see more of Anthony Shelly on Hurling but Saint seems to have him pigeon-holed as just the Football man.

2 Likes

He is. Paul has his own podcast going where by he talks to himself, he’d be better served if he got someone onto it to talk back to him.

Tipperary is almost over subscribed on GAA podcasts but none match the maroon & white podcast.

2 Likes

Scally is not even from kilkenny, westmeath man living in gowran. Seems an alright sort but seems to come out with predictions without any sort of thinking or logic behind them.

Said a few weeks ago that piltown will win the junior hurling in kilkenny. Then had a guest on last week pod who told him piltown have 7 or 8 lads gone away which made him look fairly silly.

I know he’s from Athlone originally and runs Gowran Park as his day job, your right he’s more bias than most native supporters.

Think he just wants to be mates with the ex county huriers like Adrian ronan.
Is that wexford pod thing with the lads talking outside a chip shop on this year?

He loves mentioning his time as Blacks & Whites manager and gives anecdotes of playing Pilltown or Mooncoin or Kilmacow about 7 years ago. Was with a Carlow team this year.

As expected Rosenallis have given Clough Ballacolla a walkover in Round 3 of the Laois SHC. Almost unheard of really but certain extenuating circumstances. Rosenallis are out, the game is meaningless to both sides and the championship as Rosenallis can’t be relegated and Clough Ballacolla couldn’t be beaten to top of the group. The Laois SHC moves to 10 teams from 8 this year so no relegation. Rosenallis were for years the sole dual club in Laois and working off 14 or so of the same players on both panels. They have a chance qualify for the SFC quarter final next weekend and tossed the hurling. A great opportunity there for any entrepreneurial clubs looking to get a challenge match off Clough Ballacolla this weekend :eyes:

1 Like

He did well to eke a junior championship out of them in fairness. What happened that he wasn’t over Blacks and Whites when the went up intermediate the following year?

He did. That I wouldn’t know.

1 Like

It is but last 2 years the Wexford final was played in August so it became a summer stable, final on 1st Sunday in November this year.

Yeah Bagnealstown Gaels manager in both codes, their Senior in both.

1 Like