Club Championships 2024

Saint was with Whitehall last year and had them on the fast track to relegation. They got rid of him and managed to stay up. They have done very well this year. It was funny having him co-commentate on them this year with him grudgingly giving them compliments through gritted teeth.

Iā€™m fairly sure he is with Olafs who are intermediate/4th tier and should win that. He was also involved with UCD freshers

Crokes have sailed close to the wind in recent years in Dublin. That Basquel miss yesterday, Raheny should have finished them in normal time last year, naf were on top in the 22 final. Fairly sure someone else brought them to ET also.

His interview before the final last year was unreal. Basically said all the teams they had played in the Dublin championship up to that point were useless and couldnā€™t give them a game. Said they were down in Galway every second week playing challenges vs good Galway club teams

1 Like

A stark example of wasteage in the GAA if this lad is making money from clubs

1 Like

Bar a few clubs from Dublin and Galway along with St Brigids of Roscommon, all the top Club Football teams in the country are Ulster based.

Every game is played in front of big crowds and goes down to the wire.

What exactly do you want to see?

I like that the catchphrase the Tyrone county board have for their championship is #refusetolose. Nothing about glory or winning, even the marketing has to be negative.

8 Likes

A huge amount of lads seem to have a chip on their shoulder about Ulster football. The province which provided us with the minor, U20 and senior All-Ireland champions this year plus a clean sweep of the club football honours. The most competitive provincial championship by a distance too with a great bit of variety. Give me a tense 0-9 to 0-9 in Clones any day over a Dublin 3-23 to Longford 0-9 in front of the seagulls in Croke Park.

4 Likes

St Judes let them of the hook big time in the final the year before. Were well ahead at one stage.

They give the dour spectators the dour football they so love

2 Likes

Champions find a way.

This is great stuff in Hyde Park.

Would they be any more dour than the spectators in the rest of the country? Tyrone used to produce some very watchable footballers.
I was at a kids underage hurling blitz on Friday, the numbers involved up here have never been bigger. The solution to spreading the great game across the island may have finally been found, modern football coaches. *Tyrone might be one of the few counties hurling is not growing in at underage.

was Na Fianna formed when they split from Ballymun or was it the other way around?

I think they were all the one at one stage?

They produced two all time great forwards in Peter and Stephen but laud the dark arts

Where is ā€œup hereā€ in this case?

Frank McGuigan before that. They also used to produce entertainers like Muggsy. Iā€™m not sure they are any more dour than other county supporters, the way the number of supporters following the county team has fallen off a cliff suggests there is no great appetite for the way football up there has been dragged by a few influential killjoys.

1 Like

Mournes and south Armagh

1 Like

Disappointing to see the commentary position has been switched, thus removing a lot of the bang of famine for the television viewer. I hope this is not a permanent thing. You need the graveyard, the wasteground and the desolate stone walls to be visible to create that true feeling of loneliness and misery you associate with Dr. Hyde Park.

11 Likes

Brigids turning the screw now.

Pearses race looks run.

I canā€™t work out whether Padraig Pearses play in red or orange. I suspect the official colour is red but it looks orange to me.

When I was a nipper, I thought Downā€™s red was orange and Armaghā€™s orange was red, so I have a history with this sort of thing.