Club Championships 2024

It was massive in Wexford in 98 and 99.

Still relationships maintained to this day.

Presume that was the year Ahane beat a Joe Kelly inspired Shels in the Div 1 final? 2004? You must’ve been some child prodigy to be hurling U14 when you were 10!

1 Like

Twas Gaelic football

I remember ahane winning the feile alright.

I’m going to say it was announced during a Limerick v Galway game in 2004 with adares Michael Clifford making his debut for Limerick.

It was announced ahane won the fiele at half time.

It was a Limerick v tipp game but still great memory by myself.

Think that Ahane team went under beaten for until the 21s final 7 years later and barely got a senior club off it for a finish.

They’ve won their first two games in the Féile this morning too.

They’re starting to seriously come again at underage.

Interesting always feels like an older area I assume there’s new housing estates?

The work gone into hurling in the New Ross District the past 10 years is mental. There’s something in it for the other three districts.

1 Like

Most of castleconnell would affiliate themselves with Ahane wouldn’t they? They’d be huge population growth there obviously.

Ollie Moran’s son is one of their main men, living in Emly, co.Tipperary.

Yeah the likes of Fethard, Taghmon, St James, Gusserane and Horeswood all thriving. You’d wonder will the change from hurling first affect the latter two this year. Cushinstown flying it at underage in both codes too.

That’s mad. Playing for a club an hour away from home?

1 Like

Yeah, I think that in the most recent census, Castleconnell was now the 3rd-biggest town in Limerick outside the city boundaries.

And I know that Ahane/Lisnagry would also be a fairly attractive area for people to move to that are coming to Limerick for work but don’t want to live in the immediate environs.

And they obviously have a strong tradition of hurling too, it’s not like they’re trying to get it up off the ground. But even in football, they were a joke at adult level even 5-6 years ago; now they’re pushing for Intermediate (obviously helps when you can field Gary Brennan & two former professional rugby players but even the fact that those people are moving to the area).

1 Like

Ya they would. It was always an older population though.

I guess it’s cyclical.

Probably a half hour away. Emly are shite though, I’m surprised the bouncers didn’t come in for him.

who are former professional rugby players playing for ahane?

Tell him fucking nothing

1 Like

Ian Keatley and Sean Cronin

1 Like

Think Tommy o Donnell is also playing… that’s a fair spine to a team 3 rugby professionals Gary Brennan & they’ll have 3 inter county hurlers to join them for championship should be winning the lower junior pretty handy

Ah - Cronin had good football pedigree with Monaleen

Keatley is a Dublin I think, wonder did he play any underage with a club in Dublin?

You reckon?

Cronin was a right good goalie originally.