Coach Klopp - dream maker

Man City are about to win their 6th in 7 seasons… Klopp the only fella to put up to him and only for a post or a peno decision not given he’d have had 2/3 leagues… Man City continue to get some dodgy decisions - see last night… And they’ll probably win the next 2/3 leagues unchallenged.

Thank you Jürgen for not rolling over and having your belly tickled.

7 Likes

???

they came second 3 times in 9 years to a team that won 1 measly UCL?

1 Like

I think it’s no coincidence that City finally won a champions league season when they didn’t have the pressure of a high flying Liverpool breathing down their necks domestically

3 Likes

Pep made us dream.

Yes. They didn’t win the UCL the years Liverpool won it or Liverpool eliminated them. An astute observation

1 Like

He’s a learned follower. An informed commentator. A closet LFC fan.
Embrace your Redness @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

2 Likes

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Klopp will never mentioned in conversations about the premier leagues greatest manager such as Sir Alex Ferguseson and Pep Guardiola

2 Likes
  1. Pep
  2. SAF
  3. Jose
  4. Claudio Ranieri
  5. Wenger
  6. Big Sam
  7. Roberto Di Matteo
  8. Roberto Mancini
    9.Klopp

I only started follow football when the premier league era began so I’m sure one of the older chaps would likely have Klopp no.27 if you were to include bob shankley or whatever however I’d say the above is a fair reflection of the last 30 years.

Shankley never managed in the premier league

Pellegrini surely?

1 Like

Sure, he could fit in at number 9, judgment call

That’s littered with mistakes to be fair. Pep Guardiola came to England in the summer of 2016 so the Leicester title win and the Liverpool team Klopp inherited finishing 8th preceded that. In any other era of English football (or indeed any league) three 90+ point seasons would have equated to 3 titles. He won’t quite make the 90 this season but 86 would be a sizeable tally if he can win the last 4 games.

One Premier League title means he’d match up well against Klopp, not to mention the two league titles and avalanche of records his side broke around the time.

1 Like

Why do ye talk so much about that 90 point thing? Its literally never ever been mentioned in any other context in football history the amount of points a team got when NOT winning a league. It’s simply not a thing. You have winning leagues and not winning them. Is there another team who are well respected for not winning leagues but coming close? I can’t think of any.

12 Likes

It’s unprecedented for a team to acquire 90+ points and not win the league. I’d say the only other major league it happened in was La Liga when Guardiola and Mourinho were going toe to toe between 2010 and 2012. Any other era in any other country and 97 and 92 point tallies win the league at a canter. Guardiola the common denominator here.

What are the other great nearly teams of football history?

1 Like

Celtic lost the league in 2003 despite getting 97 points.

2 Likes

Winning everything is not a nearly team.

In terms of nearly, the Hungarian team of 1954, Holland of 1974 and Brazil of 1982 are all more remembered than the winners of those World Cups. I’d argue Italy 1994 are remembered as a better team than the Brazil team that won it.

Sacchi’s AC Milan only won one league title and are remembered as one of the greatest teams of all time.

3 Likes

Real Madrid under Jose Mourinho were acquiring great tallies but only had the one league title to show for it and no Champions League. AC Milan under Ancelotti another great team who only won the league once. Although Juve were up to some match fixing hi-jinks at the time not too dissimilar to City and the financial irregularities.

1 Like