Comrade Patty Cosgrove - Irish Hero

Patty “liked” a tweet by The Ditch on October 7th which was a large Palestinian flag and nothing else.

My bet is Patty was himself behind that tweet. But whether he was or not is irrelevant, because he “liked” it, and thus endorsed it, and thus it becomes his publicly stated view.

There’s a thing called a time and a place. There’s a thing called reading the room.

That “like” of the Ditch tweet did for him more than any other single thing. But his other tweets and “likes” built up a wider picture.

Patty has such a planet sized ego that he believed he was uncancellable. He’s uncancellable with his target Irish domestic audience, and with those internationally who support the Russia/China/Iran/BRICS axis.

But his most lucrative target market was not in those countries.

Know your market.

I expect he’ll pivot into being a full blown pro-BRICS, anti-west provocateur now. There’s an outside chance it could precipitate a move into actual politics for him, but I couldn’t see him being up for the drudgery of being a TD. He might fancy a run at the Park, but the Park has no power. Patty is definitely cursing his luck that Ireland has a parliamentary system and not a directly elected executive President.

The thing about it is that Paddy craves attention.

He went full scorched earth on Ireland.

He had the sense of things. He had his pirates who he could whip into a frenzy and the few non headers on Twitter who criticised him. He knew that the international audience did not really care and he had the measure of Ireland. He was a businessman as well.

Would he try that kind of attention now internationally? I can’t see him going down the route of Chay.

Might put Thomas Pringles raising of the Palestinian flag in Donegal context :rofl: - fear!

Once you’re cancelled you’re cancelled. Cosgrave is now cancelled as regards Israel and the mainstream in Western Europe and the US is concerned. He’ll have to find a way of going after the market where he’s not cancelled and can’t be cancelled. He’s going to find it difficult to make that as lucrative. He’ll have to go for the attention market. I could see him becoming a Lord Haw Haw for China or something like that, or a sort of tech version of Richard Keys.

Plus the problem with Web Summit is that at the end of the day, it’s just a conference. Hugely successful but easily replicated.

Does he have enough money made to just enjoy his life and not give a fuck ?

Hard to know. Often these types have a lot of their wealth tied up in the company. Plus they did lose a lot of money during covid.

He could have been doing both to this point already if he had things to enjoyment. Let the money keep pouring in and go off and do whatever he fuck wanted.

Instead, it seems he revels in a big mouthy cunt chasing the limelight.

Some fellas are never happy

Or just derive it in different ways.

Monkey Chores GIF

Who would even buy it now?

I doubt Cosgrave is even that wealthy. I’d say the vast majority of his “wealth” is on paper and based on the value of his asset. If the asset suddenly becomes worthless…

Maybe a podcast with Russell Brand?

2 Likes

Hang on. Aren’t you a big believer that there is no such thing as a cancel culture and that nobody is actually cancelled?

1 Like

:rofl:

9 Likes

:rofl:

I do think cancel culture is a thing but as far as I can see, it’s mainly a phenomenon used by the global right-wing against people who identify with the left, which is the opposite of what most people think it is.

I think I’d probably include Cosgrave’s cancellation in this though I do think he deserved to be cancelled for other reasons, namely it seems obvious to me he’s a bad faith chaos agent who wants to bring down liberal democracy in the west to benefit Russia and China. I don’t think he genuinely gives a shit about the well being of the Palestinian people and is cosplaying Mick Wallace style because Palestine is seen to be increasingly allied with the Russia/China/Iran axis.

I think the below is a good example of somebody being undeservedly cancelled for their views on the Israel/Palestine situation.

Meanwhile pro-Israel anti-Semites are allowed to proceed freely with their anti-Semitism merely because they are seen to be pro-Israel.

That’s complete bollocks to be fair. I’d wager a strong majority in almost every European country opposes Israel bombing and invading Gaza, and the most of the rest of the world is definitely firmly against it.

Ireland is one of the few countries in Europe where the position of the government reflects the majority of the people on this issue.

It’s this disconnect between governments and people on this issue that is a much under reported aspect because it has massive implications for the very future of liberal democracy itself.

McGuirk is effectively a propaganda agent for the Israeli government.

2 Likes

SF will have learned a lot of lessons from Patty’s misadventure.