Concussions

The future of the game is the youth. You think the conveyor belt of kids will continue if parents are told that due to insurance being removed at club level, that in order to play the sport they will need to take out policies individually for their child?

3 Likes

Not sure if that’s the wisest thing for Jackman to come out with that piece there.

Like, if he (God forbid) develops issues later in life and tries to put in a claim that column will be Exhibit A for the defence. ‘So you admit covering up head injuries? You admit not telling your coaches or medical staff?”

Some of those interviews with former players are harrowing. Not being able to remember your wife’s name. Arriving into the shop and forgetting what you came in to collect. Horrendous.

I think it’ll be a big story when the names involved come out over here, and people see the adverse affects all these repeated belts to the head have on someone’s quality of life. As of now there’s a token ‘yeah, it’s very sad and unfortunate - we just need to raise awareness.’

Even at international level now these brain injuries are all down played. ‘He got a knock to the head but he’s fine in the changing room now.’

We’re always told the IRFU have loads of money so they can recompense these men and their families generously, even if nothing will atone for a person’s health.

1 Like

You’d wonder why anybody would let their children take up rugby in the current climate

To be seen, the macho element & the age old cliche of Parents living their lives through their kids.

social status and if the kid is a big meathead, no other options except wrestling or weightlifting…,

Weight lifting for U7’s?

Would you fuck off :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Insurance for kids is handled on the policy offered by schools for all sports in and out of school, clubs and IRFU dont cover it at all. The irfu cover very little its a public liability insurance really. It wont affect children playing insurance wise. The coverage of these cases will affect if parents alwant their child playing but its chalk and cheese with risk.

As i said i imagine this lawsuit will target a neglectful workplace environment. 4/5 days a week over years of contact for the pro players.

Afterwards i say no insurance policy will cover head injuries if they do now outsode of the pro game.

You’d wonder what the rugby schools are going to do as well. It has to be near a tipping point.

It’s big trouble I’d imagine for the game. American football has and had enough money to cope, and so continues. Rugby union and league? No chance. I don’t know what the upshot will be. GAA, indeed any and all contact sports will need to watch closely.

2 Likes

SInn Fein are going to defund them too

1 Like

Rugby League is just a crazy sport. About the only decent feature is the scrum.

The list of names comong out you say yeah he got a fair amount of belts and drove on. Not surprised at some of the names on the list

Very bad. She got no protection really if the article is accurate. Disgraceful

This is going to be a massive issue for a lot of sports. You’d imagine an amateur player in rugby/gaa/soccer taking a similar case wouldnt be far behind any successful outcome for the players here. Do many clubs have written down concussion protocols? How many coaches have the concussion training?

Rugby clubs have these becuae the IRFU drive it with all the awareness of the legal cases in background I’m sure

She didn’t appear to, but I think that article, being entirely one sided, may not be balanced.

1 Like

Serious deflection here.

1 Like

Holy fuck, that’s a tough read.

I watched the movie ‘concussion’ last night. Id imagine there will be an avalanche of cases post amateur era in rugby.

The doctor in that film I think remarked that the damage done to OJ in his football career may have been a factor in what he subsequently did.

1 Like

Horrendous. I don’t follow rugby at all so had no awareness of the case