Copa America

Messi won POTT in 2014.

Was Totti Italy’s best player in any tournament he played in?

I’d say Cannavaro was in 2006 - head and fucking shoulders by the way.

Messi is a cod

You keep harking back to the same irrelevant facts.

Messi scored zero goals and 1 assist in 450 minutes of knockout football. It’s no surprise Argentina failed to score once Di Maria’s tournament ended. You seem to put a lot of weight on what corporate types do with awards rather than what you view on the field.

You are unable to address my points which says it all.

Euro 2000.

Was Messi Argentina’s best in any of the 10 he played?

Why was he best player in Euro 2000? He got 2 goals and 0 assists a poor return for their most creative player, no?

I’d have Cannavaro, Nesta, Maldini all above him to be honest

Would these be the two where he was sent off in disgrace and got his team knocked out by South Korea and where he was hauled off after an hour of the final with the game in the balance?

Yes, including the one just passed. Bizarre to argue otherwise

he’s claiming it was Di Maria because he scored in the final… by the same logic delvecchio was in euro 2000

Di Maria didn’t even start the semi final

games you don’t play in and tournaments you miss are very important here in terms of your legacy

Di Maria missed the semi final and final in 2014 which marks him out as a legendary tournament player, one of the best of all time…

Alexis Sanchez is in there I think :smiley: :smiley:

It’s bizarre to argue for it as it has no basis. Once again Messi went missing at the crunch. 5 finals he’s been involved in now - 0 goals, 0 assists. Never scored in a competitive game against Brazil, never scored a competitive goal against a big nation.

Every determinable stat that can be used to judge Messi on his performance in big games on the international scene points to him being an utterly abject failure.

Di Maria on the other hand - pedigree.

That the semi final they went to penalties on. You’d swear Messi might try and win the game in 120 minutes.

Good auld argument in the end.
I agree with you that Messi’s record needs more critical analysis. He’s almost universally lauded as this superhuman genius but you’re right he has underperformed in a lot of big games in international tournaments and in latter years in champions league games as Barca slumped out.
However he also hasn’t been as bad at international level as you make out. He’s Argentina’s top scorer of all time ffs and has been POTT at three different tournaments. The love the other players have for him was shown at the final whistle the last day too so he’s obviously done something right.
You are also continuing to ignore the fact that all the ten players you named have gone missing on many many occasions. All have gone missing, underperformed and been held scoreless in finals or as their teams lost in big games. In fact of all the players lauded as ‘all time greats’ in football the only ones I can think of who scored goals and made contributions in multiple big final games are Zidane and Pele.
For all that I’d say you are literally the only person in the world including Alexis Sanchez himself and his own mother who thinks he was a better big game player than Messi and ronaldo :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ah he is right, Messi is useless.

Has Sanchez been a more instrumental player for Chile than Messi has for Argentina? Unquestionably.

Until he does it on a wet night in Dingwall v Ross County he is unproven

The ultimate challenge. One Claudio Caniggia accepted when he signed for Dundee, and later for Rangers. That’s why Caniggia is universally ranked as the greatest Argentine player since Maradona.

Alvarez gets Argentina off the mark in this year’s edition. McAllister clattered in laying on the goal. Canada had been well in it for the first half

Very strong Argentina team. They should win the Copa comfortably.

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1808035184136409110?t=zkos0beUpR2kxtTy2VTkmw&s=19