Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

I read a report on that game on the Echo earlier. No need for a sub there.

2 Likes

Cheers but the more reports to read the better.

Castlemartyr 2-22 Ballincollig 1-14

CASTLEMARTYR completely outclassed Ballincollig in this PIHC with a brilliant team performance at Ballygarvan.

Following their Junior and Intermediate County Championships heroics last season the East Cork side dominated this game from start to finish.

They were in control all over the field with centre-forward Mike Kelly outstanding throughout while Cork senior star CiarĂĄn Joyce set the tone from the off.

After the outstanding Kelly clipped in the opening goal his side led by 1-6 to 0-1 after blitzing the Mid Cork side in the opening quarter.

Ironically, Ballincollig were denied a goal in the opening minute when Castlemartyr’s goalkeeper Darragh Joyce comfortably stopped Cian O’Driscoll’s shot with a fine save before they registered the opening score through an excellent effort from Brian Keating.

But in truth Castlemartyr dominated the opening exchanges and points from the outstanding Kelly (2), Joe Stack and Barry Lawton settled the East Cork side. Further points from Mike Cosgrave and Brian Lawton were followed by Kelly’s goal after a superb pass from Jack McCann caught the Ballincollig defence napping.

Collig replied with a couple of points from young guns Tadhg O’Connell and Cian O’Driscoll to trail by 1-6 to 0-3 after 16 minutes.

With Joyce spraying the ball beautifully out of defence, Castlemartyr added points through Stack and the impressive Andrew Kelly. A shell-shocked Ballincollig clipped over a couple of points from Robbie Bourke and a nice long-range effort from Sean O’Donoghue.

Castlemartyr tacked on a couple of points through Mike Kelly and Barry Lawton to lead by 1-12 to 0-6 at the break.

On the resumption the game was over as a contest when Castlemartyr’s Jack McGann pounced on a dreadful mix up in the Ballincollig defence. Further points from Barry Lawton, Kelly, McGann and the powerful Joe Stack left a staggering 15 points between the sides.

Ballincollig managed five points without reply, three Keating frees and scores from subs Paul Cooney and Karl Walsh. But the magnificent Kelly and Barry Lawton landed two great points to quell any comeback.

Mike Kelly landed a brace from frees before Brian Keating converted a 20m free which was only a consolation score.

Scorers for Castlemartyr: M Kelly 1-9 (0-5 f), B Lawton 0-4, J McGann 1-1, J Stack 0-3, M Cosgrove 0-2, Brian Lawton, C Sice, A Kelly 0-1 each.

Ballincollig: B Keating 1-6 (1-5 f), T O’Connell 0-2, C O’Driscoll, A Wills, R Bourke, S O’Donoghue, P Cooney, K Walsh 0-1 each.

CASTLEMARTYR: D Joyce; C Martin, D Moran, B Ó Tuama; J Lawton, C Joyce, M Cosgrave; B Lawton, P Fleming; B Lawton, M Kelly, J Stack; C Sice, J McCann, A Kelly.

BALLINCOLLIG: J Linehan; S O’Donoghue, J Murray, C Sexton; C O’Sullivan, B Coleman, F Denny; R O’Donovan, R Burke; C O’Driscoll, B Keating, A Wills; T O’Connell, D Bowen, C Kinsella.

Subs: R Power for C Kinsella (20), K Walsh for D Bowen (h-t), P Cooney for A Wills (h-t), D O’Sullivan for R O’Donovan (50).

Referee: C Dineen ( Douglas)

2 Likes

City clubs do seem to be struggling. Pairsaigh looking at a relegation final and Glen will struggle to make an impact this year.

It’s been like that for over 40 years now, the city clubs have been all up and down
But at the business end this year you’ll probably have the Rockies and Douglas, either the Barrs or Sars (they’re a city club now)

Yes, different type of player than Jake though, shall we say workmanlike

I’m quite green on the Cork championship but given the population in Ballincollig should they not be a better outfit? Or is it primarily football there

Maybe just an off day yesterday.

They’d be primarily football.

They had a good team that won a county or two but what’s followed is not of the same standard.

With a population of 20,000 it’s tough to keep it together when they don’t have the tradition.

Soccer and rugby still would pull a lot of the numbers, especially after that underage period.

There flying it at underage. Up there with the likes of Midleton/Sars as top 4 club side at all ages. Plenty of Cork underage players being produced.They’ll be Prem Senior soon enough. Football was dominant for yrs but they’ve turned that around. I guessing they are being hammered by J1s atm.

They’ve seen a huge population influx over the last 10/15 years… You may not see any potential fruits fir a few years yet

I dont think Bishopstown would win Intermediate premier yet will stay up again.

You could say the same about Erins Own

Seems cork city has become a hurling wasteland. Any reason why?

City Clubs have won 5 of the last 10 county titles mate and only a divisional combo stopped them winning more

6 Likes

My bro in law reckons Erin’s own will win the cork senior this year, he’s a hurling man through and through

Not a hope, a fiercely honest side but other than Rob O’Flynn they don’t have them.

I was impressed with Sarsfields the other night but got done with a late tsunami from Blackrock. If they can get through the group I fancy them.

Zero chance mate but hard to beat them.