Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Seamus Durack gives almost the exact same account for the Clare-Tipp replay in '87. Tommy Keane leaning against the dressing room door smoking, and Tipp filing past in their matching blazers.

3 Likes

Harsh - if it’s the young fellas I’m thinking about. Can be a bit of a pain but surely they’re not all there?

6 Likes

Prick

Yes your hatred of the late Teddy McCarthy is well documented

3 Likes

Super Ted

1 Like

A flawed individual but aren’t we all. A poor manager, an incredible athlete. There have been many.

The other fella is a prick.

He was much more than just an incredible athlete on the field of play in both codes, skill, strength and determination to win, some crucial scores in big championship wins too

1 Like

All the attributes of an incredible athlete

When Teddy was training the Newcastle West Hurlers and Footballers he’d take the Footballers on the Saturday, be put up that night in a hotel and train the Hurlers the Sunday. Paid €300 for it too.

Constantly drank the €300 he was paid away apparently!

Really nice fella though

Good question.

Pierce Grace from Tullaroan won two All Ireland football with Dublin (1906-07) and three All Ireland hurling with Kilkenny (1911-13).

7 Likes

Correct on Frank Burke.

Hulring in 1917 and 1920; football 1921-23.

FB, PG and TMcC are the only three players with two or more Senior All Irelands in both codes.

1 Like

What did he do with them for the rest of the week?

From my understanding he personally just did 1 session a week with both. I could be wrong there

This was around 10

We all partied.

Teddy taken to his final resting place today.
My uncle was a massive fan, he had a dog called Teddy Mac, I’d say there was hundreds of dogs called Teddy Mac, he messaged the family group the other night to repeat a tale he told me last year, he had met Teddy in Crosshaven a few years ago and over a drink he had said ‘thanks for all the great days you gave us’ he was delighted that he had done that now. Teddy was like a superhero, a hero from a different time, they don’t make them like that anymore.
My poor old mother loved Teddy as much as if he was from the Barrs, she usually saved her hero worship for Barrs men but Teddy was different. I know I put up this page from a letter she sent me before for another reason but I love how Teddy had to get the mention despite not playing,
Ar Dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

18 Likes
4 Likes

Nice piece on Teddy here from Denis Walsh

6 Likes

Really good piece, catches the essence of Teddy very well

3 Likes

What’s this about the WGH turned Sars lad and Teddy Mac’s funeral.