Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Kileagh forward so.

I think so.

21 teams up Harty must be nearly a record, schools probably looking at Cashel and Tulla thinking let’s give it a lash.

Carrick would have Aaron O’Halloran (minor full back in 22) and Stefan Tobin (minor 14 in 23) from the Swans. Not sure do they have many Waterford or Kilkenny minors on top of that.

2 Likes

2 years ago at Dean Ryan level, Flannans beat Colmans in the final. Ard Scoil also very strong iirc.

Thurles were hammered by Colmans but there won’t be that gap in it nowadays.

Strange so many schools are competing in Harty when they would have a great chance of winning the B competition.

2 Likes

The Harty group stages get more coverage than the B or C finals. Maybe schools are looking at reaching a Harty QF as an ambition instead of winning the B. The draw is the big factor in this.

Coaches stroking their own egos?

Dean Ryan is 16.5. Harty is u19. Teams have lads in 6th year who were overage for Dean Ryan but now can play Harty. Makes huge difference. Dean Ryan should have gone to u17

To this point, Midleton won U15 last year but wont be as strong at Dean Ryan as they are picking up very little on the half age. However, in two years time, they will have a serious Harty team as the Walshs et al, will be available.

1 Like

What are Thurles and Nenagh like?

Big chance of that I would think.

Would love to see a Harty League from October-December and then a straight knockout Harty Cup from late January to mid March.

Harty Cup Group stages run off in the Autumn gets messy with Club Championship taking precedence. Its happening more and more that clubs are pulling players from Schools teams because they’ve a County Minor Semi Final at the weekend. (This is wrong too, but anyway)

Of course the Inter County Management teams want it run off as quickly as possible in the autumn so they can get a clear run at their gym programmes for the following years Intercounty season.

I know from experience in Leinster that the change to u17 has been a disaster and it has gone back to 16.5.
In the smaller/medium schools there is too many 5th years eligible for both.

The reason it went back to u19 at senior level was good alright as many kids born in the first half of the year start school at 5.5 instead of 4.5.

2 Likes

Tipperary minors of 2023 were weak so you wouldn’t be banking on many of them, it depends how many of the 2022 class are still around.

Thurles exceeded expectations last year so will be hoping to go close this year. Nenagh will be solid but won’t challenge to win it out. Cashel the same.

I accept all that. My general point is that success at Dean Ryan is not an indicator to success at Harty, since the change to u19.

Fair point, the smaller / medium schools can’t compete at Dean Ryan but that changes at senior level when it evens out physically.

1 Like

I hear a retired ex Cork hurler has been asked to return to the squad for a sensational comeback.

Joe Deane would still be handy at the frees

Brian Corcoran?

He’d have to transfer clubs as well surely

He should but hardly be an issue.

Nash i presume?

You never know what you have until its gone.

1 Like