Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

This game is an acid test of where Cork hurling is at. A bad defeat and the heeby jeebies will flood their heads.

Win and they’ll be solid out.

They have firepower but when the temperature dials up and it will here I wonder how they’ll respond

And Deccie Dalton sweeping in front of him

1 Like

I wouldn’t listen to a word that Landers says, but it hardly matters if we played him full-back against Waterford knowing Davy’s bullshit.

1 Like

I’d have Coleman half forward personally with 2 inside and he being the extra man roving around in between half back and half forward. Ideally you’d have Connolly and Robbie Flynn as your 2 men inside.

I dunno is O’Flynn best suited as an inside man.

Cork not a happy camp as shown by today’s performance. Cork at 2/5 was crazy odds.

Haven’t seen the game yet but not suprised at the result. A load of the lads started - Harnedy, Coleman, Horgan etc - were poor in the league.

What are the likely changes the next day? Sounds like 4 out of the front 6 were rubbish but I assume Horgan will still start as freetaker. Or will PR just pick the same team?

Shane Barrett was very good in fairness to him, brought the fight. And if Connolly had got more ball, he may have done a bit more damage. I know they’re not very young players anymore and Barrett, particularly, has a good bit of Championship experience but thought they showed a bit of leadership today.

In fairness Lehane got on a bit of ball but hit some chronic wides. Work rate not there though, same as Horgan. Can’t have both of them in your 6 forwards.

Commentators eye

2 Likes

Pat Ryan stated after the game that he felt Cork didn’t feed the ff line (Connolly) enough. All well and good, but the team and instructions were clear. Connolly was starved of possession and had Prunty beaten up a stick.

It seems this management have trouble learning from past mistakes. Tommy O’Connell at half back in the second half after the Ennis game last year? Ball was caught over his head for the penalty. Tommy is a midfielder, simple as.

Fitzgibbon was good but should be at 11. Mark was hot and cold as one poster previously said.

The disappointing thing is that I still think we need Harnedy. The other players with his skillset are too young and thin - Healy and Cunningham.

1 Like

Yeah I think you need Harnedy too tbh.

I don’t particularly rate Sean Twomey or Brian Hayes. I think you have better players than them further down the pecking order. Maybe they’re not showing form in training or whatever but I don’t think those two are good enough. Brian Roche, though, was one of your best players last year and can’t get a look in? Is Ethan Twomey injured? I like Padraig Power too, I know he had a serious injury but I heard he was back on the panel?

I thought TOC did okay at times today but would agree he’s not a wing-back. Would also agree with Fitzgibbon at 11. I think his work rate is very poor too but at least he has one standout attribute in that he is really good at timing runs off the shoulder and has phenomenal acceleration. But if you have Fitzgibbon at 11, I don’t think you can have Horgan or Lehane in your team.

I do like Healy from what I’ve seen of him but maybe haven’t seen enough of him.

2 Likes

Power should be back in full contact now. He’d be straight into my 15 if he had a full preseason behind him. Very difficult to play catch up now.

Ethan is not injured, was on the bench today. I’d have brought him on ahead of Luke Meade.

If there’s any doubt or debate over selection or sub to bring on, the management seem to resort to the most conservative option 90% of the time, which is very frustrating.

Roche seemed to be struggling for form in the league. Again though, so did others who started.

Robbie looked slightly injured today too I felt. Didn’t look 100% to me which is obviously extremely concerning for next week.

That fucking Waterford puck-out on top of Coleman. Putrid. Who was that clown telling me Coleman had to start against Waterford again?

Then they switched TOC back there who got caught under the ball for the penalty… Ryan and Co really are slow learners

1 Like

Connolly had Prunty beaten all ends up all day and they hit about three fucking balls into him all game.

Insane that we have nobody to take frees outside of Horgan/Dalton to the extent Horgan can stay on even after missing the biggest sitter on the face of the earth at the 50 minute mark.

TOC was almost comically lost for that Joyce black card.

@twiceasnice97 and the rest of the Clare lads willl be outraged at that second Cahalane yellow card and the Waterford lad’s playacting.

Donal Óg was ok with that yellow.

A bang on the elbow can be very painful.

3 Likes