Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Not sure about Joyce at midfield, think Twomey would do better than he did today.

Joyce could help them a lot in the corner this year, deffo off short puck outs and playing out anyway.

1 Like

Joyce looked very rusty. Think that fact the midfield was crowded didn’t help him either and he thrives on space. However he grew into it which is a sign he’s getting up to speed.

Barrett was fantastic and effectively put the game to bed himself with his scores in the first half. Definitely our best player in the Championship thus far. Connolly couldn’t get going at all but was marked well. Someone needs to tell him he doesn’t have to always go for goal.

Very lacklustre performance though. The 2 late goals are a blessing as a 15 point win wouldn’t have been deserved and would have made it appear it was clinical.

Wins a win though and I’m sure training has and will be more competitive than that game today.

Twomey is automatic starter. Joyce can be an effective midfielder, with time, but Twomey/Fitzgibbon is the way to go.

Can’t drop either of the corner-backs, both are flying right now.

Interesting one from PROC, who of the following would you take for the current team. I think this was the team that played Dublin last in championship (not sure tbh). Usually I’d say Cooper but not sure we need him now as much as before. Eoin Cads and Kearney are the two big ones imo.

Cork​

1. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)

2. Seán O’Donoghue (Inniscarra)

3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)

4. Niall O’Leary (Castlelyons)

5. Robert Downey (Glen Rovers)

6. Mark Ellis (Millstreet)

7. Mark Coleman (Blarney)

8. Bill Cooper (Youghal)

9. Darragh Fitzgibbon (Charleville)

10. Luke Meade (Newcestown)

11. Séamus Harnedy (St Ita’s – captain)

12. Daniel Kearney (Sarsfields)

13. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)

14. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)

15. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)

Mad that Joyce has gone from being many people’s pick for cork’s best player at the start of the season to possibly being squeezed out.

1 Like

I see your point but Downey is naturally inclined to hold the middle while Joyce likes to maraud. Nothing wrong with that but the former suits us better right now. Joyce will end up somewhere in the half-back line next year.

He should be there on Saturday. I’d be very concerned about our defence. Twomey has to go to midfield if his concussion situation is okay

Cadogan wouldn’t be near the current team. My god.

1 Like

I think that shows how much better Cork are now that they’ve started integrating their younger players.

For me, Cooper & Kearney would start. Maybe Nash over Collins.

Arguably, the earlier versions of Harnedy & Horgan might be better but both have played well this year.

1 Like

Did Kearney retire young?

Fell out with management at the time I think(Kingston possibly?)

Yes he is only 34 now was definitely a few more years in him

Kearney was excellent in 2018, covered a lot of ground and carried a lot of ball as a deep lying wing forward and was one of Cork’s key men. But he was pretty ineffective in 2019 as teams started dropping a wing forward into the space he wanted to roam into and he hadn’t much else to offer. Just a bit too gadgety.

Think they said it was work related but Kingston didn’t seem to fancy him and he left early in 2020

1 Like

Hurled well v Limerick in 19

Everyone from cork hurled well that day - it wasn’t reflective of the rest of their championship season though

The TFK love in with Kearney and Cooper is something to behold,
Neither would make the current team IMO

Nash the very obvious one to come into the current team

2 Likes

Disagreements with management which was largely work related.

Cooper is exactly what this Cork team needs. I was hoping Brian Roche would be this crop’s answer to him and at times last year it looked like he might but for whatever reason(s) it hasn’t happened this year.

Nash wouldn’t be allowed bring on the hurleys in the current team.

1 Like