Cork v Waterford - All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final 2'17

Cheers for acknowledging you have no reasonable response.

No I’m agreeing with you. They were the same thing.

2 Likes

Tuohy absolutely did it deliberately as did Gleeson. Both should be banned by the letter of the law but neither should be for harmless enough offences and neither will be. Stupid fucking rule but stupid by both for doing it.

That defence didn’t wash for Dermo.

Depends on if media shitstorm is enough to embarrass a response.

1 Like

I didnt meet one Cork man today who felt in the slightest aggrieved tbh. General consensus was that Ozzie must be as thick as a plank for what he did but nobody suggesting Cork would have won if hed been put off. It was a shit rule last week and its a shit rule this week. GAA will just ignore it gan dabht

2 Likes

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/897163/

He clearly grabs it. Hand comes up past Meade’s neck and he grabs it.

Well then those Cork lads must be stupid. If Gleeson gets sent off of course it is a different game. Cork puck outs would not be under same pressure etc etc

Debating merits of rule is also bollox. Rule is there for now. On the footage he very clearly grabs the helmet. A long tradition of linesmen missing stuff under their noses continues.

1 Like

What a bullshit piece of journalism.

I just watched the embedded video.

The incident was not seen by the officials at the time

That’s a real gem. Have RTE had sight of the James Owens match report.

I suppose if he saw what the cameras saw and he knows the rules it is a red card. Or he bottled it.

Gleeson’ Hand is not an autonomous being separate to the rest of him. He clearly moves his hand and grabs the helmet. It is obvious.

Dermo was banned for a push on a linesman. I assume he felt it etc at the time.

If a ref bottles a decision to send a player off then it seems the media shitstorm is a large part of what happens next

Owens will not report that he saw it and that he decided one man in top of another dragging the helmut of his head was fine by him.
He wilt never referee inter county again.
Gleason is fucked. Derek McGrath will be planning a visit to Ossies parents later this week to tell them Ossie will have the Goal match to look forward to.

1 Like

Why are you citing a different sport? If you insist on bringing Diarmuid Connolly into it, it should be noted that he got a straight red card in the 2011 semi final for striking Mark Boyle of Donegal yet was somehow cleared to play in the final.

2 Likes

Talking to a few lads at ball tonight… No complaints but lots of bemoaning of Waterford playing 15 men in their own half and just their general negative tactics…

Has anyone pushed up on them yet and marked the Waterford sweeper?

A different sport. Like saying long jump and 100m are different sports in a debate about IAAF sports administration.

You would rather be precisely wrong than roughly right as they say.

Tipperary. In Limerick 2016. They destroyed us.

2 Likes

Boo hoo . A disgrace Waterford didn’t lie down to their overlords like in 1982 and 1983 . They should have let Lehane , Kingston and co have plenty of room to wreck havoc .

:laughing:

Dublin did it in league last year and won.

Tipp didn’t allow Waterford dictate who would be spare man last year. They attacked the sweeper. The sweeper system is not necessarily a defensive thing - it is about turnovers but then about counter attacking. You remove a large part of having it in hurling if you target the sweeper and make defence his priority so he is not free to start attacks.

Other obvious one is to hit scores from further out. Cork were starting to do that when Cahalane was sent off.

I would use same logic to target COS when Playing Dublin in football. Make him a primary defender where he is less comfortable.

Hammer the hammer.

Oddly enough Fagan , Sean Moran on the POR on Saturday referred to the 83 Munster final and implied it was played in Thurles .

I attended as a 10 year old in the Gaelic Grounds . Tipp bate Lk in the minor that day .

1 Like