Cork weirdo/sicko thread

Absolutely mental shit. Hard to fathom it.

1 Like

No, sorry but I canā€™t. OK thereā€™s a farm of land that was originally the motherā€™s, the poor woman, but hereā€™s what Iā€™d call a very well off family. Daddy has a job, Mammy was nursing up to her illness and the pair of boys were clever, well educated and with bright futures. The land was also bringing income from lettings - there was hardly a shortage of money.
What in the name of God was wrong with them, fighting over a farm of land that wasnā€™t going to be a feature of their lives going forward. Utter madness.
You can probe about, speculate, but the answer is out there. Iā€™m not offering my opinion.

14 Likes

This nicely sums it up for me. I toss it around in my head and I keep coming back to this one simple point of the story.

Theyā€™re from Cork.

4 Likes

Youā€™ve couched the old chestnut nicely there. Kudos for the discretion. :ok_hand:

1 Like

@Corksfinedtboy
how did the vote go tonight?

Yes

Didnā€™t find out till 1 this morning but
it was a case of yes or nothing

1 Like

Hopefully itā€™ll mean the club will move on.

1 Like

Certainly and twas like the civil war on the different forums Iā€™ll be glad to see them get focused on football again

1 Like

You could MAYBE get inside the head of the young lad. 23, brain not fully formed. Your mother is dying and she cuts you out of the will. That canā€™t be easy.

But the father. I still actually canā€™t believe that and wonder to the extent of his involvement. I canā€™t get my head around it at all.

2 Likes

Beyond tragic

I donā€™t think anybody here could understand, and offering hypotheses (mine included) is only for sport,

Youā€™ve a case of clear mental illness, psychosis, possibly weak character in another case,

But it is a fascinating case

I think itā€™s very odd people are posting about this tragedy in this thread. Almost like a girl being raped and fellas rushing to the lovely ladies thread.

What actually happened ?

ok some context
I dont think this is as bad as what happened with Arkaga and Tom Coughlan back in 2007/8 as the new investor has connections to the area ( owns trabolgan, a few stud farms , etc) but it is sad that the lads who ran FORAS and their dream was to have a fan owned club have no seen that washed away. The work that those lads ( voluntary) BTW put in to keep the thing alive would have been enormous.
The whole thing and the symbolic 1 euro sale though reminds me of the sale of Irish steel to Ispat international ltd in 1994 for 1 pound, the debts were inherited and the thing sold off and cobh took a while to recover as the jobs were gone in a year or soā€¦
maybe the Kowloon Bridge is a more apt analogy- an abandoned ship on the rocks off the cork coast in 1986, sold for a pound i believeā€¦ thats CCFC for now

Death of a football club by Neal Horgan is essntial reading for anyone BTW who follows football - especially the Oirish EPL fools

@Corksfinedtboy is well up on details and a man whose word i respect here btw as he understands the importance of the football club to the community

1 Like

How much would the land have been worth?

no cork city FC club has ever owned a ground- MFA own the X - understand that Preston want that to change
looks like a prime real estate opportiunity if im being cynical

@Corksfinedtboy who owned flower lodge before the GAA , was it that FAI?

3 Likes

The AOH were the owners of Flower Lodge

Iā€™ve been dipping into the ā€˜Keane: Originsā€™ book in recent days, quite a lot about his time in Cobh and plenty of interviews with locals, you might enjoy it

2 Likes

Lads need to realise there are plenty of households in rural Ireland where Husband & Wife live under the same roof but that is as far as co existence goes.

5 Likes

can you remember when Liverpool played a ROI XI in flower lodge in 85/86 i think?
jesus it was some venue back in the day