Coronavirus - Close the Airports

It’s not a misleading stat. It is a statistic you don’t like, which is your issue.

I’m not arguing for no travel restrictions (in fact I recommended them in January) , but unless you shut things down completely it makes no difference in the long run. You can slow the spread at the beginning, but unless you have a complete lockdown (not a half assed one) you will continue to see community spread. As restrictions are eased cases will start to grow again, not from travel, from community spread.

This exposes the lockdown fallacy, it was justified at first to protect heath care systems, but is now just delaying the inevitable.

The only sensible approach is protecting the vulnerable, something all western governments failed utterly at. Hopefully they have at least learned that lesson.

2 Likes

And what do you make of 566 in New Zealand?

Exactly the horse has bolted now.

How long did it take New Zealand to reach 566?

A lot sooner, because of community transmission and clusters. Which is the point.

They should make misbehaving prisoners read this.

1 Like

A lot sooner because people were coming in off planes willy nillly from infected hotspots.

Ah here Mike - to paraphrase you, do you really believe that just because there’s a press release saying it’s legal for countries to do it that they have no problem with it? One of the core principles of the EU is free movement

In relation to your second point - your argument of close the borders includes the idea that we don’t need to close some of our borders because its small. Grand. Gotcha.

The answer is yes to both questions, but it applies to all European governments. They are all equally culpable of failing to plan and failing to execute a proper containment strategy, especially protecting the vulnerable. Ireland is no better or worse than any other country.

I’m going into town now

All equally culpable, agreed.

But Ireland is the only one which is a small island on the most westerly part of Europe, it has advantages none of the other countries had and also had more prior warning - and still failed.

A quick google brought this up

You may want to retract your comment that the EU “have no problem with it whatsoever” - I’d say we’re back closer to my suggestion that they’d frown on it

Who was calling for travel bans in early February around Europe. Please post that info for us there.

Not the government anyway.

It took them until the middle of March to react when the virus had been taking a hold over Europe a full month before that.

Bro, why are health care workers dying from this if Herd Immunity is the only answer?

When you say protect the Old etc, wasn’t part of Gov policy not aimed at helping all of us help the Health Sector? Elderly included etc.

There seems to be reports that certain strains of this are much more aggressive than others. Will Herd Immunity be a certainty here?

Thanks in advance.

No I’d like for you to post anyone who demanded that in early February in Europe.

That’s the date you claim it was needed, so post the people.

:smile:

That’s just pure deflection. The Fine Gael government were the only ones that had the power to do that, there’s no point in focusing on people who had no say in it. You’re defending the indefensible.

The EU have clearly stated they have no issue with temporary border controls during this outbreak. Most member states have introduced them. I’m not sure where you’re getting the idea anyone has an issue with it. The Apple appeal shows that the Irish state don’t always toe the line and it is clearly written that each member state has the right to control their own borders and the EU can’t veto it.

Re the Portuguese/Spain border, I’ve given you an example (which you asked for) on how the northern border issue could be addressed.

You poured cold water on border controls without actually knowing anything about it.