Coronavirus - Close the Airports

That’s a completely subjective statement from a guy who supports a party who throw billions at private interests and mismanage the public health system.

People with the ideology of Dimmy get into government so they can run state services down for ideological reasons and/or because they’re in hock to corporate interests.

Amazingly enough, Denis O’Brien is one of the people who is profiting from this latest little episode.

Amazing how often that happens when Fine Gael are involved!

1 Like

Got just under 50% of a low turnout election for them. The CHANGE parties maximized their turnout so 60% is a fair assumption of support. But you still are suggesting their votes are automatically discounted from deciding where their taxes go in terms of healthcare?

No it isn’t. Actually look at the European systems regularly cited as better than ours and you will see private influence. And for profit influence.

That does not mean we cannot provide healthcare for all and universal access.

You said 60% which is completely incorrect. FF and FG are unable to form a government together and will need the backing of other parties of TDs for this to happen.

My argument has always been about the government, I never mentioned anything about people profiteering other than its reprehensible but that if its necessary to pay over the odds that the government did the right thing to get it sorted quickly

Cuba has the best healthcare system in the world.

What private interests operate there?

You defended the people profiteering from it.

Amazing how people will always find an excuse to class profiteering as “necessary”.

And you still think their voters should have no decision in where their taxes go?

Where? You’re making that up, just like you didn’t reply to my last post because you were making stuff up

Can you answer this question I have?

What would you have done if you were the government and the private healthcare owners weren’t giving you a fair price?

There should be a @Tim_Riggins drinking game.

Every time he says “throwing money”, it’s time for another shot.

The term “throwing money” really is a terrible giveaway about the ideological zealotry of somebody who uses it.

O’Briens current interests in Ireland are;

Actavo: this relies on the utilities sector, construction sectors and will rely on the National Broadband Plan. Only one of those sectors is currently active. As an aside, one of the divisions is the construction of modular homes which the government have consistently resisted.

Communicorp: advertising is down throughout the media industry with mass layoffs

One private historical; you’ll have to provide some actual evidence that he is benefiting more than he normally would from owning it

You’ll need to try harder and look at the facts.

You’re changing the terms here. You said that they had 60% a while ago and had to have a say, they don’t, the numbers don’t dictate that they do.

The point I made was FF/FG have for nearly a decade presided over a state that has been embroiled in corruption and running down state services and resouces, they have managed to put the state in such a way now that they are now told what to do by wealthy billionaires and MNCs.

I said there is no way parties with a track record of corruption/gross incompetence and mismanagement should be allowed preside over socials services like health and housing which they have utterly destroyed and created a crisis in their previous tenures.

It’s a fair comment.

Sweep sweep

Its not a fair comment, you are attempting to disenfranchise their voters permanently because you don’t agree with their decisions. And you also have swerved answering who should run the health service in their absence?

Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring, ting tingle ting doo
Come on its lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you

2 Likes

I have never said that wholly public systems cannot work well, you are the one who said that any private influence is bad. That is simply untrue. The rankings bear than out.

In terms of Cuba, they pay their staff a pittance. Maybe yes we could go that way. It certainly frees up cash to acquire equipment and medicines of which the profit motive was one of (but not the only) drivers.

Wha?