Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

What’s NPHET’s latest advice? I haven’t seen it so the rest of this post may be redundant.

Surely they have to stick with recommending level 5? Rates are still high, if they don’t continue to recommend level 5 then surely that’s an admission they got it wrong.

Unless, they see that the rate has slowed, and so they now think level 5 is no longer needed. But if the rate has slowed, and level 5 is no longer needed, that means it wasn’t needed when they thought it was. Which means their recommendation to go to level 5 was not necessary and was wrong.

Tony’s getting to the Simon Harris levels of condescending

2 Likes

Their last recommendation was for things not to move.

October 1st: all of Ireland except for Dublin should stay at Level 2, with some additional household restrictions

October 5th: Level 5 everywhere

October 8th: stay the same

Varadkar didn’t lick the circuit breaker off the floor. Melbourne was clearly mentioned, and the Government asked how that would work with schools. There was a rumour on the Monday that NPHET wanted Level 5 with secondary schools closed, which would make some sense if you actually want a proper level 5.

2 Likes

no… he’d just wheel out macconkey and refer to the current situation as a “holding pattern over gatwick”
Adolf Hoolahan is an egomaniac who needs some deaths perferably under 45 to justify up his reckless tone since his comeback… no doubt those numbers will be engineered

1 Like

All over the place.

Stay at home and wash your hands

Will never live that one down.

2 Likes

October 8th is where NPHET have lost a lot of credibility.

If they respected the advise v determine relationship between them and government, then they should not have adjusted their professional medical advice to suit the wider agenda.

2 Likes

My bollox… few cans out the back and job oxo.

Holohan was asked today if NPHET’s Level 5 recommendation still stood and he said it did.

Ah right.

I thought their no new recommendation advice meant no move from level 3 rather than no move from their level 5 guidance. Can have a lot more respect for that stance regardless of whether you think it’s right or wrong.

Holohan said there was no point making a Level 5 recommendation as the government had only imposed Level 3 and there wasn’t sufficient time to determine if that was the right decision or not.

He said that they’ll meet on Thursday and make a fresh determination then.

1 Like

Nphet seems a lot less panicky this week then they were last week then

I was pretty sure that he did not re-recommend level 5 last Thursday, but that is a more reasonable stance.

He played down the Dublin ‘success’ a lot. It’ll be interesting to see what happens on Thursday.

With the GAA suspended the rate of infections should slow down and we can get back to an acceptable level.

3 Likes

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to jail by a military court for a crime they didnt commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem , if no one else can help, and if you can find them… maybe you can hire the A Team

6 Likes

An iconic theme tune

1 Like

Here kid. I’m up around Roscommon, Athlone area either next week or the week after. I’ll give you a shout

1 Like

Mrs Mac got an app notification this evening that she’s a close contact of a confirmed case. Has this happened anyone on here and how long did it take the contact tracers to get in touch? Looks like she’s off to live in the shed for 2 weeks :sweat_smile: