Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

No way, couldnā€™t have them going around with masks on in these circumstances.

1 Like

Jaysus :astonished:

It would be interesting to know what this figure was this time last year.
Thereā€™s only 30 covid patients in ICU today. Being over run is the natural state of ICUs in Ireland sadly

Stick to the misogyny baldy.

1 Like

Be interesting to know of those in the ICUā€™s how many are there from the Community or Nursing Home sectorā€™s & breakdown of ages etc.

None Iā€™d say

Doesnā€™t answer your question but article states 100 people with flu admitted to hospital in one week last December.

That might be a misleading stat? Iā€™d imagine a lot of the ICU capacity is concentrated in certain hospitals?

ICU capacity before covid ran at 96% on average, which means they regularly had more people than beds before any crisis

Shur, youā€™ve a select few hospitals that are regional for icu and other purposes.

Keep it up Bosco and youā€™ll be having a carp removed from your throat for christmas

Iā€™m beginning to wonder about the whole ICU capacity thing in terms of locking down the country, given that less than 5% of our deaths have been from ICU so far - in other words, is this virus manageable in one of the private hospitals wards for example if weā€™re caught for capacity.

Genuine question, as Iā€™m no expert.

@Tim_Riggins @Tierneevin1979 @Julio_Geordio

The problem is we have zero spare capacity and the government has done very little to improve it. 100 cases in ICU and we are at the point where things will start to creak, at that point and even before that hospitals would have to stop normal services to free up staff and beds as we saw back at the start. At 200 cases in ICU you are probably at or past breaking point for the system.
However a very rough calc suggests there has only been between 400-500 people in ICU so far. The vast majority at the start. So it would take a lot of numbers to get you back there.
The nursing home patients etc sadly never make it to ICU. Hopefully however we have seen the worst of that also

1 Like

Iā€™ll try find some more info tomorrow.

Iā€™m working from home tomorrow so should have a bit of time :eyes:

I think weā€™ve upped it from 225 to 282 or so ICU beds now. I suppose my point was more that, from the HSE numbers I was looking at a couple of weeks back, 95 people in total had died in ICU over 6 months,

As you say, its the nursing home deaths back from March to May that really drove the numbers in terms of deaths. Youā€™d hope if not presume lessons have been learned there in fairness at this stage.

Still points to the fact though that arguably the capacity issue could be handlied by potentially taking over a couple of private hospitals if necessary especially looking at the numbers of people who are actually sick vs the number cases weā€™re seeing since August anyway.

Ultimately, I just donā€™t think another full lockdown is justified currently - will have to go along with the WHO on that.

1 Like

Had a look through a HSE report there.
A lot of hospitals with only 4 or 5 ICU beds. Iā€™d imagine those beds are full most of the time.

Are ICU beds not used a lot post major surgery.
Surgeries get pushed back.

The hidden issue here is that by having to aim everything health related at Covid we are going to lose more and more cardiac and cancer patients.

2 Likes

Thank you GGA

3 Likes

This pandemic has turned the whole world upside down. Agreeing with McDowell shudder

1 Like

According to this article, max ICU capacity is 800, including surge capacity and private capacity, while most articles have regular capacity at around 64. Itā€™s a bit disingenuous to claim there are 32 in use and 32 free, when, if push comes to shove, it can go to 800, notwithstanding the practical issues of staffing, equipment etc