Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

I’ve never run a pub or restaurant (worked in both years ago) so this is purely opinion/speculation

in my mind it is worse for many of these establishments to be open in the current restrictions, financially speaking. They have to stay open with limited customers etc while paying for staff, rates, bills, stock etc.

if the government closed it down then a lot of that cost is offset to supports from the government.
Either way they’re fucked while the pandemic is ongoing. But some of them might be better off getting supports.

Like the pub in the video?

an IRISH version yes. Not as many blondes like

Jesus I feel awful for that lad Tom from Dublin whos worried about loneliness with another lockdown. So many like him

Where did it all go wrong bro?

someone bought me a laptop. It spiraled from there

Many if not most open have no choice as getting squeezed by landlord. EWSS helps re staff and theres a holiday re rates. The rest of your post is fairly spot on, it’s actually a bad look , they will all be closed by midnight Sunday

based on what I saw in the pubs I worked in they basically operated at a loss Monday - Thursday, made small profits on the weekend to cover the week and really depended on the bonanza nights of big matches, local events etc and this was one of the more popular spots in a small town.

It’s all very demoralising.
The fabric of the country is being destroyed.

12 Likes

I think you’ll find that Luke O’Neill was downplaying the risk of surface transmission a fortnight ago.

2 Likes

We really have to take science for the clarity on this.

I’m getting my antibody test at 11am tomorrow.

I may be The Cure. If I am it will be Just Like Heaven.

1 Like

No Christmas will kill a lot of pubs esp out the country. Never worked in retail but I’d imagine that its even worse there

Retail have the option if going online and selling back stock or clear out sales. .

You cant get a pint of plain online or sell it off chape

I see Philip Nolan has publicly gone after Jack Lambert on twitter in response to the latter’s Irish Times opinion piece today.

A multi-tweet thread in the guise of Tony Connelly’s inadvertently funny 38-part tweets on some Brexit negotiation technicality.

1 Like

Anyone trying for one last hurrah and get serious browning points with their life partners(or if you’re just feeling horny) ahead of an impending lockdown book into a local hotel tomorrow night. Any that are still open are doing deals with this in mind. Your last chance for a while fuck knows how long exactly

Nolan is getting a severe beatdown in it.

Then just before dawn at the breaking of the sky
The stranger returned and said
Now I must fly

Hes twitter bio says he’s a cunt on a bike. Enough said

That honestly reads like parody site!