Countdown Thread

Probably the greatest quiz/game/test of intelligence there has ever been on television.

I still miss Richard Whiteley immensely. The epitome of a true Yorkshireman. The playful banter between himself and Carol was wonderful and entirely unforced - they really were friends we’d never met. Carol was tremendously attractive too. I particularly liked it when she wore boots and nonchalantly came up with the answer to a difficult numbers game.

Susie Dent in Dictionary Corner was and still remains the thinking man’s crumpet - and every man who ever watched Countdown is a thinking man.

Guests were always a cut above. From the witty repartee of Gyles Brandreth to the unhinged flair and creativity of Richard Stilgoe, the couple of minutes leading up to the first ad break always raised a smile.

With the almost equally magificent Fifteen-To-One, presented by the calm and authoritataive William G. Stewart preceding it, that hour and bit was both educational and entertaining.

I’ve often toyed with the idea of being a Countdown contestant, right from the days when my national school secretary Greta won three matches in 1989. It still rankles that my record of 96 points in a single 15 round viewing means I still haven’t breached the magical century barrier.

While the programme will never again reach the heights of the Whiteley/Vorderman days, Nick Hewer and Rachel Riley continue this great British mid-afternoon tradition, and long may they do so - I believe the final of the latest series is on tomorrow for those who will have viewing access.

Here’s a sample letters and numbers game to get your mind working.

Letters:
S M T I E G H L A

Numbers:
75 6 9 4 2 7

Target: 873

Real show. Real people.:clap:

Good semi final on today. Thought the conundrum was really difficult.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 876352, member: 183”]
Numbers:
75 6 9 4 2 7

Target: 873[/quote]
I’ ve got 872.

75 x 6 x 2 = 900

7 x 4 = 28

900-28 = 872

There was a great answer to the last numbers game today. Reminded me a bit of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfa3MHLLSWI

[quote=“downyourthroats, post: 876358, member: 1497”]There was a great answer to the last numbers game today. Reminded me a bit of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfa3MHLLSWI
[/quote]
Amazing stuff. I only got 953, like poor Gerald.

“Lamest” for 6 is the best I can do without employing some simulator which no doubt exists.

Disappointing that I couldn’t find longer word given the -iest contained in the selection.

Scratch that. I now have “gamiest” for 7 but that one is clearly after the buzzer.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 876363, member: 183”]“Lamest” for 6 is the best I can do without employing some simulator which no doubt exists.

Disappointing that I couldn’t find longer word given the -iest contained in the selection.

Scratch that. I now have “gamiest” for 7 but that one is clearly after the buzzer.[/quote]

GAMIEST.

Is this valid?

[quote=“Bandage, post: 876364, member: 9”]GAMIEST.

Is this valid?[/quote]
“Gamiest” would have been valid had I declared it, but I declared “lamest”.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gamiest

An example of it in a sentence would be: “Bandage has the gamiest sister of anybody on this forum.”

A lame effort to start the game.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 876352, member: 183”]Probably the greatest quiz/game/test of intelligence there has ever been on television.

I still miss Richard Whiteley immensely. The epitome of a true Yorkshireman. The playful banter between himself and Carol was wonderful and entirely unforced - they really were friends we’d never met. Carol was tremendously attractive too. I particularly liked it when she wore boots and nonchalantly came up with the answer to a difficult numbers game.

Susie Dent in Dictionary Corner was and still remains the thinking man’s crumpet - and every man who ever watched Countdown is a thinking man.

Guests were always a cut above. From the witty repartee of Gyles Brandreth to the unhinged flair and creativity of Richard Stilgoe, the couple of minutes leading up to the first ad break always raised a smile.

With the almost equally magificent Fifteen-To-One, presented by the calm and authoritataive William G. Stewart preceding it, that hour and bit was both educational and entertaining.

I’ve often toyed with the idea of being a Countdown contestant, right from the days when my national school secretary Greta won three matches in 1989. It still rankles that my record of 96 points in a single 15 round viewing means I still haven’t breached the magical century barrier.

While the programme will never again reach the heights of the Whiteley/Vorderman days, Nick Hewer and Rachel Riley continue this great British mid-afternoon tradition, and long may they do so - I believe the final of the latest series is on tomorrow for those who will have viewing access.

Here’s a sample letters and numbers game to get your mind working.

Letters:
S M T I E G H L A

Numbers:
75 6 9 4 2 7

Target: 873[/quote]

What kind of an Uncle Tom of a dub calls it national school?

Fuck off you try hard

[quote=“Bandage, post: 876364, member: 9”]GAMIEST.

Is this valid?[/quote]

@Bandage is it true you use an anagrammer when you are playing online scrabble?

Yeah I’m trying awful hard alright with my couple of hundred posts :smiley:

Geoffrey Durham was my favourite dictionary corner guests.

He used to do magic or puzzles. Great man.

Richard Samson with his poncy ‘Hello there’ was the best lexicographer.

But once Richard Whitely passed on, that was the end of my love affair with Countdown.

[ATTACH=full]970[/ATTACH]
:clap:

Rachel is still a downgrade on the Vord at the board. Carol got better with age.

http://www.athomemagazine.co.uk/wp-content/themes/goodnews4/framework/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://www.athomemagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Carol-Vorderman-featured-4.jpg&h=340&w=636&zc=1

Signing in for today’s gala final.

“Teratoma” for 8 is a high quality start.

Throw us up a few puzzles sid

S N V I E U W R O

I thought I’d done well with “viewers” for 7. I was trumped by “souvenir”.

2 5 4 7 6 9

Both the cunts got it. I was nowhere near.

Pledges for 7 gives me my first points of the day. I and f the other letters.

ANLUDITSE

Both contestants got insulated for 9, beating my “audits”.