Cunt of the Year 2017

Iā€™d respectfully suggest that youā€™d be better off advocating for policies that address the clear social problems both within the travelling community and as regards inclusion in the wider community rather than generalising about and vilifying all of them, which is what you do.

History has told us that never works out well.

An extremely low % of the Travelling Community will accept or partake in any initiatives to help them Educate themselves or their children. The drop out rates from Primary school are disgraceful. It is not down to bad teaching or kids being badly treated.
It is down to lifestyle choices & their traditions.

The vast amount of end results from following their traditions amount to working in Cash, not paying taxes, expecting an awful lot for nothing, terrible treatment of animals, no respect for the environment they live sporadically in and in proven cases theft & harassment of elderly people.

There are some good eggs but they are few & far between.

Are there problems with littering, robbing, poor treatment of animals or not paying taxes in the Traveling Community? Yes, of course there are. But are those things ā€œcultureā€? Are high rates of suicide amongst Travellers a ā€œcultureā€? Depends on how you define the word. None of those are intrinsic aspects of culture, theyā€™re social problems that tend to persist. Culture is having a tradition of boxing or crafts or music or language or storytelling. Culture can evolve while still preserving its essential heart. All the more reason to try and get Travellers to see education as a way forward (simplistic I know), which will help the good aspects of their culture evolve while helping to combat the massive social problems which so clearly exist.

Generalised vilification of the sort @Bartholemew_the_Ladd engages in doesnā€™t help anybody. It may be an entirely natural human reaction to be hostile to an identifiable social group, say, if one of them has committed a robbery against you, but generalised vilification against such a group doesnā€™t ever help.

Same principle applies to, say, a family of an RUC officer who was murdered by the IRA.

11 Likes

Excellent post, :+1:

Without giving too much away I can tell you that I have very considerable experience of working with services that are at the front line in terms of what traveler supports are there from the state. Everything from hard cash to actuel real jobs have been given to them. Family supports as well as children supports are thrown at them and it isnā€™t unusual to have anything up to 15 different state services going through their doors to help them integrate. Yet the levels of violence and control through the use of rape is a weapon is rife in certain parts of Limerick. This is common knowledge amongst people who work in the support services. One family of travelers in Southill is well known as the heroin kings of the city and regularly use rape as a weapon of control. I can guarantee that there isnā€™t a working family with children that get a fraction of what is available to the traveler fraternity if they engaged in it. There is an old saying about horses and taking them to water. If this was applied to travelers they would get all the help needed to get to the drinking trough and have it filled with pure Ballygowan only to refuse at the last minute on the grounds that it wasnā€™t Evian. Generalising is not what I do but when a considerable majority of travelers refuse to obey the rules applicable to the rest of us and get away with it, it is a recipe for disaster. I know several people whose children need a little SNA help at school to help them to learn and get through their early years education, but they canā€™t. It is difficult for those parents to accept the fact that the traveler in the class who causes as much chaos as he wants, will get that help above their child, that is if the traveler even bothers to turn up.

Where I live and from the top window at the back of the house I can see 6 houses occupied by travelers. From the top of my head, there are 18 adult males in those houses as well as wives girlfriends and children. There are two other families living in wagons. In total, there are about 35-40 between houses and wagons. Not one of them are working, not fucking one. Yet the oldest car in the yard belongs to an 18 year old and is a 2010 Passat. Farmers in the area are tormented and at least one Ag Contractor has had their tanks of diesel emptied by them. I know its them because they have been seen.

Not until travelers begin to respect me and my settled types, will I want anything to do with them.

13 Likes

A friend of Mrs. Moth rented a house to the state and they put a traveller family in it. She got ā‚¬1k per week rent, and a had a massive claim for damages when they moved out. The place was absolutely destroyed.

2 Likes

Iā€™m beginning to think that you believe @Elvis_Brandenberg_Kr is a traveller.

2 Likes

AthnĆ­onn ciarĆ³g ciarĆ³g eile.

1 Like

No, heā€™s an even bigger cunt than the worst of travelers.

1 Like

Daire Hickey

In matters concerning noonan?

Are you having a laugh

Barry Cowen. This odious wanker was on Newstalk this morning spouting his anti water charges lies. His arrogance levels are actually remarkable given the destruction his party and his family have brought upon this country.

4 Likes

Tom Humphries

Gay Byrne

Can it be posthumously awarded?

Emma Murphy, whinging brass-necked teacher on Today FM

She was on Matt Cooper there about half an hour ago, moaning about how teachers are expected to bring up the next generation of kids and teach them about equality in society when they donā€™t even have equality in their job.

Listen up here, you cunt. You have three months off during the year, you earn far more than your job deserves, you retire with a big pension and you want more? Get to fuck, the audacity of these cunts is something else.

7 Likes

Cue @Juhniallio about to make himself a martyr for teachers three months paid summer holidays once again.

3 Likes

Some of them have to stay on for half an hour sometimes after the kids go home at 3 o clock though. Itā€™s not all sunshine and lollipops.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s some cross.

1 Like

And they never get to hear Dermot and Dave on today FM. Except on the Christmas, Easter and summer holidays, and the three mid term breaks.

1 Like