Cunts on Ghost Bikes

+1

what ever happened to the proposed Northside to Southside cycle lane- we wouldnt have to deal with poor drivers if that was the case

They probably squandered the money on putting flowers on roundabouts and upgrading traffic lights.

If you mean the Sutton to Sandymount lane it’s alive and well. They’ve just laid the latest leg of it along Guild St and Sir John Rogersons Quay. Needless to say most cyclists are shunning it preferring, as they do, the thrill of weaving in and out of traffic

:rolleyes:

the fairview to rathmines one numbnuts

Is that because the surface of the track is poor? If it is covered in broken glass and heroin needles you can’t blame them for avoiding it. I believe that the basic rules of the road must be obeyed by cyclists, red lights etc. And of course that motorists behave properly as well, such as not using the mobile while driving etc.

No the surface is perfect.

Who cycles from Fairview to Rathmines. A ridiculous concept.

a new concept perhaps but you dont have to cycle all the way to Rathmines- I think its permissable to stop cycling close to your location

:lol:

That is eminently sensible. I am generally in favour of taking all these cunts off the roads and putting them on cycle tracks where they can only be a menace to each other. But not at excessive cost to the taxpayer. I would also point out that the roads are (notionally at least) maintained at the cost of the motorist. If these cycling leeches have a major problem with the state of the roads perhaps they might like to make a contribution through a bicycle tax.

Why stop there? Why not introduce a running and walking tax? :rolleyes: Tis no wonder that obesity is becoming such a problem in this country when people share such blinkered opinions as the above.

Two reasons Mac.

1. At least in Dublin most runners and walkers steer clear of the roads.

2. I don’t hear too many joggers giving out about the state of the roads.

I think you’ve misunderstood the argument here. Cyclists generally give out about the state (or lack) of the cycle paths and not the roads. Most cyclists would prefer to not go near a road but due to the poor structure & maintenance of the cycle path network we have no choice but to share the roads with you motorists.

If cyclists want better facilities they should be prepared to pay up to fund their hobby. The hard pressed motorist already pays through the nose to keep the roads maintained and the general tax payer isn’t going to take too kindly to schools losing teachers just because a few freeloading wankers in yellow Lycra want to impress each other cycling from Fairview to Rathmines all day.

So by that theory then you expect pedestrians / walkers / joggers / runners to pay for all the footpaths, footbridges and pedestrianised streets in the country? You do realise that for some people cycling is a necessity and not a hobby?

No I have already said that I couldn’t see the need to tax pedestrians for the reasons given above.

I am at a loss to see how cycling could be a necessity for anyone ? I can see how it might be a convenience but definitely not a necessity.

So you’d prefer to just discriminate against 1 particular group of people? Sounds about right.

It can be a necessity for anyone who can’t afford a car or public transport who may have to travel further than walking distance. Or someone who lives in an area poorly served by public transport who can’t afford a car. Not every person in the country lives within 20km of Dublin City Centre.

Really?? I fucking hate cycle tracks, particularly the one along the N11. They’re ok when they’re just a line marking one out along a road, which is great for cars giving you space, but the specially constructed tracks are a pain in the hole. I like being on the road with the cars, but I’d like it a lot more if the roads weren’t full of holes.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 197518”]

Really?? I fucking hate cycle tracks, particularly the one along the N11. They’re ok when they’re just a line marking one out along a road, which is great for cars giving you space, but the specially constructed tracks are a pain in the hole. I like being on the road with the cars, but I’d like it a lot more if the roads weren’t full of holes.[/quote]

Any of the cycling fora I’ve read would all be of that opinion. The main problem though is that most cycle paths around Dublin are terrible. The one from Clontarf to Suttob is great for example but its a rare properly done job. And that’s allowing for having a 2km stretch where the path stops from bull island bridge.

The N11 one is shocking alright, mainly cos it passes peoples gateways and the path raises and lowers an unnecessary amount of times. The one heading southbound is slightly better.

Only slightly. You still have the ridiculousness of having to stop at places to put your bike back on to it (if you’re riding a racing bike), the uncomfortable experience of joining back up with the road approaching a junction and wondering have the speeding cars turning left that are approaching behind you noted that you’re now on the road, and cars pulling out of the garage near the top of Merrion Avenue and blocking the pathway, with no way to go round them as there’s a raised edge on the cycle track.
I cycled the Clontarf one last summer and found it to be a pain, particularly with all the wankers going the opposite direction too fast while rounding corners in the wrong lane and nearly colliding with you. Decent, wide roads with an area marked out for cyclists would be the ideal for me.