Cunts that will be rolled out for Up For The Match

Galway manager when they lost in 2001 as well.

Actually got me thinking whether there’s another hurler that’s lost in 5 finals. Reckon you’re going back over 100 years to find one.

1 Like

Brendan Lynskey?

Eddie Keher? '59, '64, '66, '71, '73?

Keher (along with Kieran Purcell) missed the 1973 final through injury. Hence the asterisk after the Limerick win.

Lynskey only made his debut in 1985 - at 29, so wasn’t around for 1979 and 1981 defeats.

Sylvie and Conor Hayes retired after 1989 and weren’t around for the 1990 defeat.

PJ Molloy actually is a possibility. Think he played in 1975. Retired after the 1987 win.

Great googling boys

Stalwarts of the sporting table quiz circuit never resort to google/wikipedia or their ilk.

1 Like

You are an amazing contributor

Yes, PJ Molloy has played in five losing final teams - started in 1975, 1979, 1981, 1985 and came on as a sub in 1986 - scored a goal as well after coming on in 1986.

Had a quick look at the record books - only other possibilities would seem to be appearing in 5 of the 6 finals Cork lost between 1901-15, five lost by Tipperary between 1909-22, the five Kilkenny lost between 1926-40 or a combination involving five of the seven lost by Dublin between 1930-52. From a very quick look at the records book, there doesn’t appear to be a player who featured in five. So it looks like PJ Molloy and Noel Lane are out there on their own in the All Ireland Hurling Final Day misery stakes.

There’s another avenue you didn’t consider, perhaps one of the London team who did a buffalo bills on it, had players who represented someone else before or after?

I haven’t looked too closely at the London teams. Garrett Howard and Mick Gill did occur to me as possibilities and I had checked up on their records. Garrett Howard won All Irelands with Limerick in 1921, 1934 and 1936 and Dublin in 1924 and 1927. He only lost in two finals though with Limerick in 1933 and 1935.

Mick Gill has the unique distinction of winning two All Ireland senior medals in the same year. He won with his native Galway in 1923 but the 1923 final wasn’t played until 1924 as a consequence of the Civil War. He played for Dublin then in the 1924 final when they beat Galway just before Christmas in 1924 and won again with Dublin in 1927. The only final Gill lost though was with Dublin in 1930.

Seán Bán Breathnach

At least it won’t be Christy Heffernan

Those cunts who perform pop songs as Gaeilge, are they a Galway school? If so they are certs.

Hector.

The Seoige’s.

Joe Cooney (not a cunt).

Pete Finnerty (not a cunt).

John Mullane or Tomás Mulcahy ?

I’d imagine some Waterford hurling legends will be rolled out for it

1 Like

Tommy Tiernan ; a naturalised Galweigan.

Growler and Lay Lay Barry

1 Like

Sylvie and Gerry Mac and Joe Connolly

Sean Ban Breanach.

John Deasy and Maire Dirrane

2 Likes

Bishop Eamon Casey rip in his prime would have been a great guest.

1 Like