Damien Dempsey

Vicar Street 26 and 27 November. Anyone going?

Monday and Tuesday night is a bit of a strange one for Damo. As itā€™s a Champions League week (I think) Iā€™d prefer to go on the Monday night. As the astro teamā€™s playing winter league on Monday nights then it could double up as a team bonding session after that nightā€™s game.

I always thought of Damien Dempsey as more of a poet then a singer to be honest. His lyrics are brutally obvious but strangely excellent and heartfelt. I have two of his albums, but as for going to a concert I donā€™t think Iā€™d bother

Hey rocko, is there any way youā€™ll be able to get the new album up on TFK in such a fashion that Iā€™d be able to get it on my mp3? Itā€™s not out for another couple of weeks.

Iā€™ll see what I can do.

Lovely. Cheers.

Is this the covers and rarities album or a new studio one?

The former.

The great manā€™s new album is out this week and the version of Rainy Night In Soho in particular is reported to be stupendously good.

Listened to Rainy Night in Soho last night and it is indeed excellent. Havenā€™t seen the rest of the album anywhere yet though.

Did buy the Pogues Box Set and itā€™s superb. Some amount of songs on it.

Think itā€™s been out on iTunes since Tuesday and is hitting the shops on Friday.

http://rs251.rapidshare.com/files/122215555/Damien_Dempsey_-_Rocky_Road.rar

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]Listened to Rainy Night in Soho last night and it is indeed excellent. Havenā€™t seen the rest of the album anywhere yet though.

Did buy the Pogues Box Set and itā€™s superb. Some amount of songs on it.[/quote]

Wouldnā€™t be a Damien Dempsey fan at all but I saw him live a few years ago in Dublin and have to admit it was a great show.
Iā€™d be a massive Pogues fan and have all the albums so wonā€™t be buying the compilation, I am amazed you think the Rainy Night version is excellent. I heard it for the first time on the radio tuesday night and thought he destroyed the song.
I will reserve judgement until I hear it a few more times though as sometimes a song/album can grow on you the more you hear it.
I hated the Doors the 1st time I borrowed an album off a mate but think their stuff is excellent now so Iā€™ll wait and see.

I just noticed Benny Sherminā€™s comment earlier on this thread. The Dempsey live experience is the greatest thing about him - his live shows are truly outstanding. I chatted to him out in RTE one time and in Heathrow on another occasion and he was sound. I was over in Glasgow on my own for a game last season - canā€™t remember which one - and he was last onboard the return flight home. I hummed ā€˜Colonyā€™ pretty loudly as he walked by and he started laughing. I think that makes us friends.

damien dempsey is brilliant liveā€¦i know a lot of people that wouldnt like him because of the songs they hear from him on the radio but they dont do him justiceā€¦factories, trains and houses- colony- sing all our cares away and spraypaint back alley have to be heard liveā€¦have seen him live 4 times each time he was superb(normally has a lad with him who is shit hot on the drums)

he played a gig inside in one of the lecture halls in UL one night and it was epicā€¦there was only around 100 people at itā€¦pure intimateā€¦

Rock could you tell me, on that Pogues box set I donā€™t suppose there is a version of Limerick Rake on it? A great old traditional song, I used to have an mp3 of Shane singing it in a leary sort of way. A brilliant rendition.

As for Dempsey, I liked the first album but I really think he hams up the accent a bit, I mean is it real? It seems a bit contrived, maybe Iā€™m wrong.

Itā€™s not SS**

Track listing is:

DISC ONE
1 The Kerry Polka (1987, previously unreleased)
2 The Rocky Road To Dublin (1984, previously unreleased)
3 Boys From The County Hell (1984, ā€œRadio-friendlyā€ version of Stiff single)
4 NW3 (1987, previously unreleased)
5 The Donegal Express/The Hen and the Cock go to Carrickmacross (c.1991, rehearsal recording, previously unreleased)
6 Do You Believe In Magic? (1985, outtake from Poguetry In Motion EP sessions, rough mix, previously unreleased)
7 Hot Asphalt (1992, previously unreleased)
8 Danny Boy (BBC John Peel Show, December 4, 1984, previously unreleased)
9 Maggie May (1987, previously unreleased)
10 Haunted (1986, from the movie and sountrack album Sid And Nancy, also released as a 7" and 12" single)
11 The Travelling People (c.1991, rehearsal recording, previously unreleased)
12 Eve Of Destruction (1990, outtake from the Hellā€™s Ditch album sessions, previously unreleased)
13 My Babyā€™s Gone (1992 Demo, previously unreleased)
14 North Sea Holes (1992, previously unreleased)
15 Garbo (aka In And Out) (1990, from the movie and soundtrack release of Garbo)
16 The Last Of McGee (1990, outtake from the Hellā€™s Ditch album sessions, previously unreleased)
17 Afro-Cuban-Be-Bop - Joe Strummer and the Astro-Physicians (Alt. Mix)
(From the movie I Hired A Contract Killer, 1990, made during the Hellā€™s Ditch sessions, this version previously unreleased)
18 Young Ned Of The Hill (Dub Version) (1989, from the CD single Misty Morning Albert Bridge)
19 Pinned Down / Iā€™m Alone In The Wilderness (1990, outtake from the Hellā€™s Ditch album sessions, previously unreleased)
20 When The Ship Comes In (1994 Demo, previously unreleased)
21 Waxies Dargle (1985, Live in Sweden, previously unreleased)

DISC TWO
1 Repeal Of The Licensing Laws (1983 Demo, previously unreleased)
2 Dark Streets Of London (1983 Demo, previously unreleased)
3 Greenland Whale Fisheries (1983 Demo, previously unreleased)
4 Streams of Whiskey (1983 Demo, previously released on Poguevision DVD/VHS)
5 The Auld Triangle (BBC John Peel Show, April 10, 1984, previously unreleased)
6 Poor Paddy On The Railway (BBC David ā€œKidā€ Jensen Show, June 21, 1984, previously unreleased)
7 Sea Shanty (1984 Demo, previously unreleased)
8 Transmetropolitan (1984 Demo, previously unreleased)
9 Kitty (1984 Demo, previously unreleased)
10 Boys From The County Hell (BBC David ā€œKidā€ Jensen Show, June 21, 1984, previously unreleased)
11 Connemara, Letā€™s Go! [aka Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go] (1984 Demo, previously unreleased)
12 Billyā€™s Bones (BBC Janice Long Show, July 3, 1985, previously unreleased)
13 The Old Main Drag (BBC Janice Long Show, July 3, 1985, previously unreleased)
14 Sally Maclennane (BBC John Peel Show, December 4, 1984, previously unreleased)
15 The Town That Never Sleeps (c. 1986, previously unreleased)
16 Something Wild (c. 1986, previously unreleased)
17 Driving Through The City (c. 1986, previously unreleased)
18 Rainy Night In Soho (ā€œOboe versionā€, released on the North American editions of the Poguetry In Motion EP, MCA Records, February 1986)
19 Fairytale Of New York (extract from 1st Demo, c. 1986, previously unreleased)
20 Fairytale Of New York (extract from 2nd Demo, c. 1986, previously unreleased)
21 Fairytale Of New York (extract from 3rd Demo, 1987, previously unreleased)
22 Navigator (live, Sweden 1985, previously unreleased)

DISC THREE
1 The Aria (c. 1864, previously unreleased)
2 The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1987, from the original soundtrack LP of the movie Straight To Hell)
3 Haunted (1986 Demo, previously unreleased)
4 Love Theme from Sid And Nancy (1986, outtake from the Sid And Nancy soundtrack recordings, unused and previously unreleased)
5 Junk Theme (1986, from the soundtrack album of Sid And Nancy)
6 Glued Up And Speeding (1986, from the sountrack of the movie Sid And Nancy, previously unreleased)
7 Paris (1986, from the soundtrack of the movie Sid And Nancy, previously unreleased)
8 A Needle For Paddy Garcia (1986, from the soundtrack of the movie Sid And Nancy, previously unreleased)
9 JB 57 (1986, outtake from the Sid And Nancy soundtrack recordings, unused and previously unreleased)
10 Bowery Snax / Spiked (1986, from the soundtrack of the movie Sid And Nancy, previously unreleased)
11 Hot Dogs With Everything (1986, from the soundtrack of the movie Sid And Nancy and previously on 12" of ā€œHauntedā€)
12 Rince Del Emplacada (c. 1987, previously unreleased)
13 The Rake At The Gates Of Hell (BBC Janice Long Show, October 10, 1986, previously unreleased)
14 Turkish Song Of The Damned (BBC Janice Long Show, October 10, 1986, previously unreleased)
15 If I Should Fall From Grace With God (BBC Janice Long Show, October 10, 1986, previously unreleased)
16 Battle March (1987 Demo, previously unreleased)
17 Lullaby Of London (1987 Demo, previously unreleased)
18 Shanne Bradley (1987 Demo, previously unreleased)
19 Streets Of Sorrow (1987 Demo, previously unreleased)
20 Thousands Are Sailing (Extract) (1987, backing track with guide vocal, from the If I Should Fall From Grace With God sessions, previously unreleased)
21 The Balinalee (1987, outtake from the If I Should Fall From Grace With God recording sessions, previously unreleased)
22 Nicaragua Libr (1987, outtake from the If I Should Fall From Grace With God recording sessions, previously unreleased)
23 Japan (1988, live in Tokyo, previously unreleased)

DISC FOUR
1 Sally Maclennane (live at Barrowlands, Glasgow, 17/19 December, 1987)
2 A Pair Of Brown Eyes (live at Barrowlands, Glasgow, 17/19 December, 1987)
3 Kitty (live at Barrowlands, Glasgow, 17/19 December, 1987)
4 Maggie May (live at Barrowlands, Glasgow, 17/19 December, 1987)
5 Dirty Old Town (live at Barrowlands, Glasgow, 17/19 December, 1987)
6 The Sickbed of Cuchulainn (live at Barrowlands, Glasgow, 17/19 December, 1987)
7 Fiesta (1988, 7" single remix)
8 If I Should Fall From Grace With God (1988, 12" single remix)
9 Johnny Come Lately Steve Earle (1988, from the album Copperhead Road)
10 Boat Train (1987 Demo, previously unreleased)
11 Night Train To Lorca (1987 Demo, previously unreleased)
12 The Mistle Thrush (1988, outtake from the Peace And Love album recording sessions, previously unreleased)
13 Got A Lot Of Livinā€™ To Do (1990, from the NME multi-artist charity compilation, The Last Temptation Of Elvis)
14 Victoria (1989, previously unreleased)
15 Murder [Version 1] (1989, previously unreleased)
16 Lust For Vomit (1989, previously unreleased)
17 The Wake Of The Medusa (1989 Demo, previously unreleased)
18 The Black Dogs Ditch (1990, outtake from the Hellā€™s Ditch album recording sessions, previously unreleased)
19 Aisling (1990, outtake from the Hellā€™s Ditch album recording sessions, previously unreleased)
20 Murder [Version 2] (1990, outtake from the Hellā€™s Ditch album recording sessions, previously unreleased)
21 Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah (1989, 12" single remix)
22 Maidrn Rua (1990, outtake from the Hellā€™s Ditch album recording sessions, previously unreleased in full)
23 Johnny Come Lately (live 1989, previously unreleased)

DISC FIVE
1 Johnny Was - Sexy Bongo (1989, previously unreleased)
2 Miss Otis Regrets/Just One Of Those Things - The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl (from the Red Hot And Blue multi-artist album, 1990)
3 All The Tears That I Cried - Kirsty MacColl - (from the CD single My Affair, 1991)
4 The One And Only - Kirsty MacColl - (from the album Electric Landlady, 1991)
5 Biddy Mulligan, The Pride Of The Coombe - The Pogues and The Chieftains (live at Brixton Academy, London, 15 July, 1991, previously unreleased)
6 Lillibulero/The White Cockade - The Pogues and The Chieftains - (live at Brixton Academy, London, 15 July, 1991, previously unreleased)
7 Afro-Cuban Be-Bop (Single version) (from the movie I Hired A Contract Killer, released as a 7" single by Villealfa Film Productions record label, 1990)
8 Turkish Song Of The Damned - The Pogues featuring Joe Strummer - (live at the Forum, London, 12 December 1991)
9 London Calling - The Pogues featuring Joe Strummer - (live at the Forum, London, 12 December 1991)
10 I Fought The Law - The Pogues featuring Joe Strummer - (live at the Forum, London, 12 December 1991)
11 The Girl From The Wadi-Hammamat (1992 Demo, previously unreleased)
12 Moving To Moldova (1992 Demo, previously unreleased)
13 Call My Name (outtake from Pogue Mahone album, 1995, previously unreleased)
14 The Sun And The Moon (1994 Demo, previously unreleased)
15 Living In A World Without Her (1994 Demo, previously unreleased)
16 Who Said Romance Is Dead? (1994 Demo, previously unreleased)
17 Sound Of The City Night (1994 Demo, previously unreleased)
18 Four Oā€™Clock In The Morning (1994 Demo, previously unreleased)
19 The Star Of The County Down (live at Brixton Academy, London, 21 or 22 December, 2001, previously unreleased)
20 White City (live at Brixton Academy, London, 21 or 22 December, 2001, previously unreleased)
21 Medley: The Recruiting Sergeant / The Rocky Road To Dublin / The Galway Races (live at Brixton Academy, London, 21 or 22 December, 2001, previously unreleased)
22 The Parting Glass/Lord Santryā€™s Fairest Daughter (live at Brixton Academy, London, 21 or 22 December, 2001, previously unreleased)

[quote=ā€œSHANNONSIDER**ā€]Rock could you tell me, on that Pogues box set I donā€™t suppose there is a version of Limerick Rake on it? A great old traditional song, I used to have an mp3 of Shane singing it in a leary sort of way. A brilliant rendition.

[/quote]

I have that home somewhere for sure SS. Iā€™ll send it on to ya if you want?

Sure upload it somewhere Runt and we can all have a listen.

Ok, but itā€™ll be after the weekend. Or maybe tomorrow night.
Do you know the song? Christy Moore does a version of it too.

Edit: Here it is on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUIhUTbppA