Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

20 minutes of soft interview on otb earlier. Listening now. The majority in Clare are behind me and donā€™t listen to the small amount spreading lies so they are

1 Like

A very honest piece, so it is

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1027/1256177-davy-fitz-talks-galway-galvin-and-future-plans/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/hurling-news/davy-fitzgerald-vows-go-personal-25311301.amp

Davy is box office.

Thatā€™s a lovely piece.

Hurling is so lucky to have him.

Davy Fitzgerald: Brian Lohan didnā€™t want to take my olive branch

Fitzgerald on trying to make peace with Lohan, the report of the strategic plan committee in Clare GAA, online abuse, Henry Shefflin, and moreā€¦

Trying to make peace with Brian Lohan

ā€œI held out an olive branch. He didnā€™t want to take it after the Wexford game, thatā€™s the way it is. I canā€™t do anymore. I donā€™t have any interest in fighting, I really donā€™t. Thereā€™s a lot more stuff going on in life. There are people out there with serious illnesses, thatā€™s something to worry about, isnā€™t it? We shouldnā€™t be fighting and messing. We all have our opinions but we should be able to get over them. Thatā€™s the way I see things.ā€

His coaching role with Sixmilebridge

ā€œIā€™m very fortunate to be part of a great club with one of the best chairmen Iā€™ve ever worked with, in any facet. Paddy Meehan is chairman. Hopefully, one way or the other (Iā€™ll stay involved). Iā€™ve three years done with them now. Iā€™ve absolutely enjoyed it. Weā€™ll have to sit down over the next few months and see whatā€™s the right way to go, whatā€™s the right thing for this bunch of boys.ā€

The report of the strategic plan committee in Clare

ā€œI actually met them myself. I had a good chat with them. I told them different things I thought. I think they realised that the last 20, 25 years for a county like Clare have been pretty good. Financially, theyā€™re on a good setting and what theyā€™ve won over the last 20, 25 years has been absolutely incredible. Things will change and move on. Is it the best way to go? Iā€™m not exactly sure but you have to be open to change and I think everyone is.ā€

Online abuse allegedly suffered by Davy and his father Pat, the Clare GAA secretary

Davy Fitzgerald is pictured at the launch of Londisā€™ sponsorship of Irelandā€™s Fittest Family. Londis will sponsor RTƉ's hit TV show for a third year in a row, which returns to our screens on Sunday 31st October for a ninth season.

Davy Fitzgerald is pictured at the launch of Londisā€™ sponsorship of Irelandā€™s Fittest Family. Londis will sponsor RTƉā€™s hit TV show for a third year in a row, which returns to our screens on Sunday 31st October for a ninth season.

ā€œItā€™s back in with the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) at the moment, so itā€™s under review. I can say very little about it, but itā€™s still ongoing at the moment. We will not be letting this go, no matter what the story is. There are people who have got to answer questions and please God we will not give in, no matter how long it takes ā€” even if we have to go personal on this.ā€

The difference between club and inter-county management, which Henry Shefflin will experience

ā€œChalk and cheese. Iā€™m with my own club, Iā€™ve been coach and manager with different clubs and club is really special. Itā€™s really special to do it with your own, itā€™s great, but thereā€™s a massive difference (with county). Thereā€™s a lot more pressure anyway, I can tell you that, a lot more scrutiny. Itā€™ll be different, Henry will find a bit of a difference coming from being a pundit in RTƉ to actually being on a sideline and having something youā€™re trying to do, instead of looking at it on TV, youā€™ve got to make those moves, youā€™ve got to do those things and with all due respect to clubs, there is an Atlantic Ocean of a difference, thatā€™s my opinion and my view.ā€

Being reeled in by Tipperary in the 2019 All-Ireland semi-final

ā€œItā€™s easy to be wise afterwards. I got the message on the field to the guys that day to go short way more. When we were going short that day against Tipp and running them, we were having a lot of success, especially from puck-outs. Even talking to lads afterwards, they canā€™t answer me, even though they got the messages, why they started to go back to going route one. That was a regret because it was a chance.ā€

:grinning: He has some neck. The same Paddy Meehan was ran from his position as Chair due to his solo run for the Fitzs which pissed off the vast majority of the club, not to mention the complaint and criminal investigation which has followed.

3 Likes

This is nice from the team manager. Even if this is true, which nowadays youā€™d have to question as it seems he canā€™t lie straight in bed, you donā€™t fucking say it publicly and hang a specific player out to dry.

Galway players were right to refuse him

3 Likes

Davy was a patsy. I donā€™t think there was any appetite at player or CB level to deal with his chaos.

Those Wexford players are very honest as well. Tipp roared into it with 14 men, hooking, blocking, general increased workmate and physicality. Probably the last real kick in a great team.

Wexford stopped going short because their skills came under pressure and broke down allied with tiredness. They hit their limit, even with the extra man after emptying the tank first half.

Davy should give winning teams more credit.

1 Like

Even if he claims he got the message out, it still falls on the manager if the game plan goes to shit. You stop play, you do whatever it takes to make sure the gameplan goes into effect. If he says he got the message out and the players went opposite to him, despite playing that way for nearly all the game, then it ultimately does fall back on the manager as his message must not have been right or communicated effectively. Its also a load of bollix to come out afterwards and hang the players for the gameplan not working.

Wexford not going short had fuck all to do with tiredness or skills coming under pressure. They worked fine with a sweeper and against 15 men. With a sweeper and 14 men it should have made it easier, not harder to put it into effect.

2 Likes

Davy was let down, you can see the hurt there in his words. A real betrayal.

1 Like

This is the same lad who puck ball after ball down on John Gardiner vs Cork in 2005. Everyone could see the folly of it, bar the lad actually doing it.

6 Likes

He cracked hurling that day.

The sight of Shaun Murphy rampaging down the wing under the Hogan Stand in the first 35 minutes will stay with me forever.

now in fairness, Mark Fanning should have had enough cop on regardless of tactics to not be so stupid with puck outs down on Paudi and Ronan Maher, but even so, if your keeper is pucking out long and not doing what you ask, you would run down yourself and tell him to fuck up doing it and to go short.

1 Like

Could he not tell him on his earpiece?

Fanning had it switched off, pierced ear drum after all the screeching.

2 Likes

Total hurling. Imagine what he could have achieved with the Galway panel?

ā€œI told them different things I thoughtā€ :joy: :joy: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tipp brought on the bench in 2019 and chased the game
Davy did not counter that