Davy Fitz- a thread for the non-believers

I’d say they would prefer to ride Con though.

Doctor’s orders

Wexford legend Tom Dempsey is adamant that the services of Davy Fitzgerald as senior hurling boss must be secured “for at least another year” or Model County fortunes may turn bleak with “no ready-made replacement” to steer them forward.

With rumours swirling about Fitzgerald possibly being in the mix to replace Micheál Donoghue in Galway, Dempsey believes it would be a “huge blow” were he to leave the sunny south-east after claiming Leinster honours earlier this summer.

Dempsey, an All-Ireland winner in 1996, feels it is a necessity that everything is done to see Fitzgerald take charge of Wexford for a fourth year and put a succession plan in place for when he does part ways.
“I really think it’s important that they keep him for at least another year. Walking out of Nowlan Park four years ago after a 24-point hammering to Kilkenny, you couldn’t have said that Wexford would have a Leinster title four years later,” Dempsey said.

"Since Davy came in, we have been very successful in Wexford terms and the bottom line is that there is no ready-made replacement if he decides to not come back. The problem that we would have would be something similar to what Waterford have then.

"Davy has built a system and has the trust of the players, they are very much going in the one direction and it has taken three years to build that. If somebody new came in, they’d come in with new ideas.

"It wouldn’t be a simple job to change systems, change everything and gain trust so it’s important for Wexford that he stays at least another year and that they groom someone for the job during that time.

“Some people will say this and that about their system but if you change that system you could have pandemonium, it could take another 12 months to turn that around and get a new imprint on it so there’s a lot riding on Davy.”

While acknowledging that Wexford need to unearth another two or three players to become genuine All-Ireland contenders, Dempsey is confident that they can challenge for Liam MacCarthy once again under Fitzgerald’s watch.

Dempsey doesn’t believe that Fitzgerald will make the switch to Galway should he leave Wexford given his “special relationship” with players and fans, although the Buffer’s Alley clubman appreciates that there are other things which will shape his decision.

“People are talking about Galway but I don’t believe Davy would go to Galway. If you talk to 99 per cent of Wexford people, they absolutely love Davy. They all want him to stay, he’s the Lord Mayor in waiting down there, they absolutely love him,” he said.

"I’m not sure where you would go if he didn’t come back. The first thing would be to get someone high-profile and I’m not sure if there’s anyone waiting within the county to take that job. It’s vital for us that he does stay.

"There’s only so much you can give to something too but I just hope for Wexford’s sake that he does stay. If he doesn’t stay, I see him taking a break. I don’t see him going across to Galway.

“He needs to take care of himself of course but hopefully he’ll do that in a couple of years’ time and stay with us in the meantime.”

Across to galway?? Its at least two steps up in importance and prestige

do elaborate.

well if he were to get galway out of leinster then hed certainly have his legacy established as the GOAT

Whether he stays with Wexford or not, I just can’t see Davy leaving the Leinster champions, the best team in the province, to take over the fifth best team in Leinster.

3 Likes

Wexford is a bad joke really. Similar to the irish soccer ball team, they aren’t good at the sport, rely on a horrendous system which other teams laugh into their sleeves at and celebrate mediocrity.

Galway is a high pressure job, an expectant knowledgeable public full of hurling people (the opposite of wexford) who will hold him to account.

But you have to admire his chutzpah, wanting to manage a contender again, wanting to push his chips back in when the soft harmless option is there.

You seem to have a great knowledge of Wexford people i presume you must have spent some time in the Sunny South East at some stage?

Personally having spent a lot of time in Galway the expectant knowledgeable hurling folk seem to dwell south of the railway tracks and nearly in Clare…

Galway is a county divided by it’s affiliation to Gaelic Football Rugby and Hurling in that order… they are the Fancy Dans’ of the GAA world who show up once every 20 or 30 years in an All Ireland Final…they lack heart.

Davy should stay in Wexford , le croi agus lamh.

2 Likes

Sounds like you really know your stuff

that’s when they show up, they bottle it the rest of time.

That’s why Galway have won so many more All Irelands than Wexford…

1 Like

Oooooft. That’ll be a hard one for him to take. Almost as hard as the 19 All Ireland finals his county have lost

3 Likes

They’ve got to a lot more semi-finals than Wexford

Indeed. They’ve lost a lot of those too.

1 Like

I’d be amazed if davy left wexford. I honestly think he would be mad to.
He certainly won’t have 99% approval rating in galway. I doubt a combination of Cody, Mandela and the Messiah would.

2 Likes

27 consecutive semi-finals is some record though in fairness

I don’t think any other county can match that

It must be some size of a trophy cabinet to store all those Connacht title replica trophies.

All 25 of them

None since 1999 though

The famine goes on

Do they carry their medals in their gear bag or their back pockets?