Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

He was a terrific player, pace, vision, tough, incredible balance, played it with a sense of divilment thatā€™s anathema in the modern game and had wizardry in the left leg.
There hasnā€™t been a comparable citĆ©og in my lifetime with the exception of Ciaran McDonald.

5 Likes

Tonight the world is a sadder, less colourful place. The magic is gone.

2 Likes

Still have Messi but thatā€™s it then

And he beat England with one :raised_back_of_hand:

The sad thing is the magic died a long time ago . The man was a tragic figure in 2018 at the World Cup . May he rest in peace

1 Like

Harsh on Caniggia.

I remember him live for Napoli and for Argentina in 1990 and before he got caught in 1994. The only other player Iā€™ve seen to drive on one national team as much is Cristiano Ronaldo.

Harsh. They just werenā€™t on the same level as him. No one was.

2 Likes

I like CR but he never came near to delivering at an international level like Diego.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Second highest international goalscorer ever and played with a team much less talented than Maradonaā€™s Argentina when he was in his prime.

Thereā€™s no need to get into it on this thread but fucking hell :laughing:

Iā€™m not doubting him as a player but what did he win?

He missed most of the final of Euro 2016 after coming off injured early on.

Is that a case being put forward that he did match Diego on the intl level?

Ignoring the fact they play shitload more intls nowadays, no one bar Pele comes within an assā€™s roar to having the effect Diego had on his national team

Stay off this thread

2 Likes

His international record, though brilliant in numbers is almost entirely against poor teams also

And he didnā€™t get kicked off the field

Iā€™ll do as I please you footix cunt.

Ronaldo played with a far inferior squad that either Pele or Maradona, Nani being the most talented other player that was alongside him in Euro 2008 (quarters) , 2012 (Semis) and 2016 (Champions).

Ah here.

It was difficult to wreck this thread but @croppy_boy has managed it.

6 Likes

The only comparable player to Maradona in recent years is the Brazilian Ronaldo and Baggio before that.

End of discussion.

1 Like