Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

Not so . Argentina had a fine side in 1986 . That does not diminish his status as GOAT

There is no ā€œcomparison ā€œ

What I always loved most about Diego was, and Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be corrected if Iā€™m wrong here, but few if any ex teammates ever had a bad word to say about him. He hardly ever fucked them out of it, he rarely jumped down their throats on the field for not being of his standard. He didnā€™t ask them to do what he wouldnā€™t. He elevated teams he played in to levels they had no right to go to. And they loved him for it.

Diego was love.

6 Likes

The Italians fairly fucked him over

Aye cos the Spanish were great to him. AS for those FIFA cunts.

Cuntishā€¦ He was some talent

Three days of national mourning declared in Argentina. I shit you not.

Only 3?

Strange comment

Rock star, preacher, prophet, stand up comedian, genius poker player, liberator, all rolled into one. And he suffered for it.

Diego existed far and away above anything so trivial as football. He is probably best looked at as an other worldly liberator of whole peoples.

Their entire existence, their entire sense of themselves was validated by him. This is not an exaggeration in any sense - this is genuinely how he made the peoples of Argentina and of Naples feel.

In a world sense and in a non football sense, only the likes of Mandela, Martin Luther King and Gandhi had this sort of effect. In history and legend, what he did for Argentina in those four minutes in 1986 was like what Moses did for the Israelites.

He was the chosen one. He is the chosen one.

Others were mortal. HE will live forever.

9 Likes
4 Likes

The two greatest international footballers of all time

24 Likes

The greatest. The tweet above with his Mexico 86 highlights is outstanding
As Jimmy said ā€œdifferent classā€

Although I watched a good few games in the 82 world cup, 86 is the first one I watched from start to finish. Some brilliant tems and games, Ze Germans, Brazil, France very good Belgian and English sides It was simply brilliant. You could say Brazil and France probably had the best players on paper but Maradona lit it up and become a legend overnight after the England game. I had the Argentina top with his name on the back! for his size his strength was unbelievable and the hits he took when playing with Napoli but able to take it and win leagues there just shows it wasnt just skill. he had it all and wont be forgotten. no player has come near his greatness since, hes the bar

2 Likes

RIP

heā€™d a bad time there with Barca ā€¦he got hepatitis as well, also got his leg destroyed by the butcher of Bilbao ā€¦think he was out carousing and dipping into the nosebag there too ā€¦

One of the things that comes across is that the Argentina attack was absolutely awful except for him.

1 Like

Put it this way, if it was Messi there they wouldnt have got to the SF

1 Like

Thatā€™s like the video of him playing 5 a side.

He made the worlds best look like scrubs

1 Like