Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

Laurent Blanc and Pepe Reina.

3 Likes

Not only is Maradona the greatest footballer of all time, he is the greatest person to ever play any sport. His genius was a glimpse into elysium.

2 Likes

86 and 90 were before my time really; my older brothers revered Maradona, and I was gutted when he got suspended from USA 94; I actually have a clearer memory of his goal and celebration against Greece than of any other moment during that World Cup (I fell asleep during the first half of the Ireland - Italy game having been on school tour that day).

3 Likes

Houghtons goal against Italy is burned in my brain.

Paul McGrath utterly dominating one of the best players in the world with a paralyzed arm is another

I was awake for the goal alright but dozed off not long afterwards

I couldn’t give two fucks what you did

1 Like

Nadal could have been one of the greatest centre halves of all time but chose tennis instead.

1 Like

The feeling is mutual

1 Like

Nadal was a fabulous centre half

1 Like

@Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

Italy were flat that day.

We have a habit of struggling in the group stages before catching fire as the tournament goes on. That was no different.

1 Like

Does that mean you wrote the story of football?

1 Like

The bond between Italy and Argentina in terms of football, culture and religion is class in fairness.

RIP.

1 Like

He’s going to haunt Shilton forever.

The big selection mistake Sir Bobby Robson made in that game was not starting John Barnes. If John Barnes had started we’d probably have won. He terrorised the Argentinian defence when he was belatedly introduced.

We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that Maradona’s first goal in that quarter final was a cynical act of cheating which was a blight on the sport, just like the Thierry Henry handball in 2009.

We took it on the chin though. At least we didn’t go looking to be the 5th semi finalists in 1986 like Paddy’s 33rd team proposal for the 2010 World Cup.

2 Likes

or a game V Stoke! but the defenders maradona had kicking him is differeant gravey.

I hope nobody falls for this

1 Like