Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

indeed, he put a ball into liniker which he should have buried

The Paddys went crazy four years later, and still talk about it, despite never even looking like winning a match in the whole thing.

1 Like

Yeah surprising they didn’t start John Barnes who appeared to be a real star at the time. Pressure must have been on Robson after the Euro 88’ tournament but he managed to retrieve his reign with a strong Italia 90.

Was that the match where Barnes stuck a majestic cross to the back stick and with lineker about to pounce an Argie managed to hook it out ?

I’ll jump in here.

Yes that’s the one but did Lineker not score?

Mate, leave the casual racism out please.

2 Likes

I thought it was a sensational clearance

I could be wrong.

With Brazil getting knocked out the night before, that quarter final was billed by many beforehand as a de facto final. Belgium in the semi final and a fairly average West Germany ultimately in the final. It was an absolute sickener of a defeat for England. I’ve never been as disappointed after a soccer match as I was that night.

Losing Bryan Robson to a dislocated shoulder in the group stages in 1986 was a hammer blow as well.

The tournament was over before you even realised how spectacularly you’d been mugged off. You’re still in shock now. Your entire empire reduced to rubble by a malnourished child sized street urchin literally and metaphorically rising above your keeper and your nation.
People say the second goal was the greatest goal ever scored. Give me the first any day.

5 Likes

???

Soccer?

3 Likes

God is Dead

I wouldn’t share your confidence in the English team considering a midget outjumped their goalkeeper for the first goal and then ran through their whole team without getting touched for the second goal

The goal lineker got was a header from middle of penalty box i think.this was a peach of cross that was literally dropping on the line at back post and lineker was diving at it and the Argentinian managed to hook it out…could be different match

God is dead. God remains dead and we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves the murderers of all murderers.

What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world had yet owned has bled to death under our knives

1 Like

You’re correct. The Argentine defender got to the ball a fraction before Lineker.

1 Like

Was an unbelievable cross from Barnes but how the Argentinian managed to hook it back out with his head was unreal defending .

2 Likes

2 Likes

I didn’t have @ChairmanDan pegged for an association football man?