Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

From what I remember the Cameroons kicked Argentina to ribbons that day and no doubt DAM got in too .

Like a lot of the EPL fanboys/England national team haters here.

1 Like

True I can imagine a young Vincent Hogan or Breheny being the same way when Ring passed.

1 Like

I never realised how unpopular Peter Shilton is.

He is hugely disliked by the anti Brexit crowd in England and I suspect that is the issue here .

1 Like

Why are you putting Miguel in quotes

:joy:
Goway to fuck, Iā€™m not believing that.

1 Like

ā€œMiguelā€ has just made that up.

I think it is a sort of protocol here . A bit like reading the Sindo at the parents house or in a coffee shop .

0:44

1 Like

so you donā€™t know why? And you do it because other lads are doing it. Fair enough

Unreal. Jesus his time at Napoli was a complete rollercoaster.

1 Like

I also find it a bit funny to be honest .

Eva PerĆ³n only got two days mourning.

This is beautiful. @Rocko can you make it a sticky on the seething thread.

7 Likes

This has hit ā€œMiguelā€ hard, heā€™s been on a tour de force since the news emerged. Our collective love for Diego unites us all. Only Diego could do this.

Shilton will soon be backpedalling furiously like he was for Andy Brehmeā€™s free kick

2 Likes

Just thinking about these players and my own memories of them. Your own age can naturally have a large impact on how you view them. Shilton, for example, has regularly been referred to as the best keeper in the world of his era. Iā€™ve read a fair bit about Clough and his Forest side and Shilton receives universal praise for unparalleled excellence.

Yet, as someone born in 1981, I remember him for being beaten in the air by Maradona and then back peddling like a Grandad for that Brehme free kick in 1990. A decent keeper could have taken a Mars Bar out of his socks and eaten it, and still had time to trot back and claim that deflected free kick in front of his face. Why a keeper would want to eat a Mars Bar or store one in his socks is a separate matter. But Shilton was old, slow and decrepit. It was an embarrassing goal for a keeper to concede.

I have other examples, such as Liam Brady. Iā€™ve seen that goal he scored against Brazil in 1987 (was it?) but he missed out on the great days of Jackā€™s era. He was obviously absolute class to star for Arsenal and in Serie A - he had an unreal good chipped goal for Arsenal against Spurs that I watched all the time on a video I got for Christmas one year as a childā€¦101 Great Goals. But I actually remember watching him play on Sports Saturday for West Ham in the twilight of his career and he was fairly shite. Not sure when that would have beenā€¦maybe around 1991? Not long before he got into management and made the trip up to Celtic.

4 Likes

Was Shilton that good though. Did he ever save a penalty? From my vague memory he was average enough. Getting out jumped by Diego was unforgiveable. Diego didnā€™t even have to stretch the arm out straight. Poor goalkeeping.

1 Like

Shilts was incredible in his Nottingham Forest days. The best in the world. Old time Nottingham Forest fans like @Lazarus and @Fitzy would tell you all about it better than I could.