mathaus
careca
butragueno
rummenige
scifo
tardelli
paolo rossi

all legends and none of them in the same planet as Diego

Soccer is different now than then. Those were all players you’d stay up to watch a late match for. They aren’t around now

2 Likes

Ivano Bonetti

Yet some of the Messi fanboys and KOKs scold me for saying football is a weak era right now.

Was he washed up or something and then had a renaissance there? He was a standout player for Argentina in 90 and 94 and was very good at Dundee and then Rangers. A real classy sort on the ball

Someone close to him committed suicide and he missed world cup 98. He didn’t play a few seasons around then and was kind of off the wall

Think he was one of the many lads who Pasarrella fucked off for having long hair

I think that has as much to do with saturation and the near 24 hour access to footballer and teams now. Back then, you wouldnt even see all the top division games in England and would see only a couple of European teams playing. The advent of the champions league in the early 90s then started giving more access to european teams. I still remember watching Milan beat Gothenburg 4-0 in a live game on RTE and Van Basten scoring a hat trick, his third being a bicycle from the edge of the box. The noise of the San siro crowd was something else, the European atmosphere being very different to what we’d be used to here with the English crowds. I would always make sure I saw those Milan games, as it could be few and far between seeing them.

But now, you get to see every single game from anywhere, and there are so many more games now, the cut throat knock out phase of the champions league only beginning long after a shit load of games have been played.

There is also the fact that we are older now too. It was a novelty as a youngster seeing these games.

3 Likes

That van basten performance I’ll never forget

1 Like

I think that was Redondo?

There was a few. Batistuta was the only one who got away with it

he cut his hair didn’t he?

Batistuta definitely missed a good chunk of playing time when Passarella was over them.

he played hernan crespo early on until Batistuta cut his hair.

Could you imagine Pasarela dealing with the players today :smiley:

Jesus that was a great Argentinian side - Simeone, Ayala, Batistuta, Crespo, Ortega, Veron in his pomp

Redondo would have been one of the best in Europe in his position too.

Zanetti. Ah jaysus.

Beaten by Denis Bergkamp and his brilliance.

Some of what you say is true but fuck it, those players are on a different planet to anything around now bar the very best

98 was probably the pinnacle of it

1 Like

Go on, I’ll bite. I’m betting O’Larticoecha kicked minor for Ballysteen or wan of the West Limerick clubs.

Cannigia was left off too for his hair and general hatred of Passarella.

I dunno. he missed the entire 96-97 season and didn’t play much for boca in 97-98. Argentina weren’t exactly short on forwards

There was a romance to the World Cup back then that isn’t there now. Back then you’d only hear sporadically about how good some of these lads were. Now we see most of them twice a week.

International football has lost its lustre too. It’s quite obvious it’s not the priority for a lot of players these days.

And I don’t think there are as many “spontaneous” players now in general. Some of the modern lads are incredible at what they do but there are very few lads that can create something out of nothing these days. It’s almost to systematic or something

1 Like

Didn’t Passarella famously hate the homosexuals?

He still made the squad 4 years after

And lads with ear rings. I’d say former poster HBV and Passarella would get on like a house on fire.