Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

Michael Cox has a good piece revisiting the 1986 game v England and the physical abuse shipped by Maradona by the English cart horses in his masterclass.

1 Like

That was excellent

1 Like

A lot of “woman beater, paedo” comments on twatter I see…

Given what went on beforehand, the hand of God and the best goal of all time were poetic justice. You could argue that some of the challenges would be a straight red card today.

5 Likes

A fine example of the ‘fair play’ that @ChairmanDan described yesterday.

6 Likes

I always felt the tiniest bit sorry for the English for that goal, but now I’m delighted at it. Fuck them. It was beautiful justice.

4 Likes

Not sure how many ‘Instagrammers’ are on TFK, but Irish legend Robbie Keane is leaving a spate of :pray: emojis on any renowned footballer/ex footballer’s page who has posted a tribute to Maradona. Seems a bit needy

I’ve watched that whole match, England were absolutely fucking shite before Barnes came on. I mean they were so bad that they would survive in today’s Premier League. Some of the players they started in that game- Reid, Hoddle, Fenwick, Hodge - give me a break. I cant begin to understand the arrogance youd need to believe that team nearly won the World Cup. England deserved nothing from that tournament.

Glenn Hoddle was a fantastic player, if Bryan Robson didn’t get injured they’d have had a chance.

1 Like

The Tunisian referee reffed the game from the centre circle that day and missed plenty for both sides. I think he didn’t dilly dally too much after the 90 mins were up and blew it up. There were no 4 or 5 minutes injury time in those days. England were shite alright. Hoddle looked to be the only player that could do anything with the odd speculative effort or set piece. I always wondered what was the shadow of in the middle of the pitch right where Maradona picked the ball up for his second goal.

1 Like

Don’t let people know who you are on twitter and that won’t happen.

2 Likes

Hoddle was a really classy footballer .

one of the most naturally talented ever produced by England.

1 Like

wow

just wow

1 Like

Lineker was deadly and Beardlsey was a very good player too. Maradona ran the show that day, other than that there was fuck all between them

Beardlsely missed a great chance early on. Barnes and Waddle added something when they came on but Bobby Robson probably brought them on too late

Hoddle was a lovely footballer, one of the best English footballers ever. Lineker, Waddle and Barnes were decent. The rest were plodders.

Beardsley was far from a plodder. Trevor Steven was a fine player

In fairness, that Argentina team wasn’t exactly stacked either.

There was an Irish connection on that Argentinian team.

Brown?

1 Like

How did Claudio Caneggia end up playing for Dundee in his early 30s after featuring in world cups for Argentina