Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

That’s because a large part of your childhood just died.

3 Likes

George Best died this day 15 years ago. Odd symmetry

Jesus, that hits hard.
Glad I got to see him play in person, even if it was at the end of his career.
Larger than fucking life itself.

RIP Diego. Never saw him play but that Diego documentary during lockdown 1 was fascinating viewing. He was tremendous fun as Argentina manager too.

Maradona was special.

Italian football is special.

Maradona in Italian football was extra special.

5 Likes

Ye done him like a dog’s dinner after Italia 90 according to the documentary…

4 Likes

RIP, my earliest sporting memory is watching the 86 World Cup. I remember thinking this lad has it

1 Like

That the one that was on channel 4 back around April? That was very enjoyable and great old footage of Italian football.

That’s the one. Brilliant doc that one.

An early memory for me was the 82 World Cup and him getting the living snot kicked out of him. He said himself he should have been in the 78 squad at the age of 18.

1 Like

The GOAT.

2 Likes

Diego was a complicated soul. Most of his own problems were self-made.

Ah fuck fuck fuck. RIP…

RIP.

The greatest.

Going to Naples was the best and worst thing that could have happened to him

6 Likes

Those whom the Gods love die young.

1 Like

Only man to win a World Cup on his own. A beast

I’m saddened by this yet I have been expecting it for the guts of 20 years.

I saw a documentary on him which I think has been referred to above during his time at Napoli. What struck me about him, and from my memories of him back at the time (albeit limited enough) was that the man was a couple of levels above anyone else that ever faced him on the pitch. He was from the Gods. Good enough to win matches, cups and championships all by himself. That good. No one now comes close for me.

There was the drugs issue of course and how much that impacted things is uncertain but on reflection the guy had outrageous football ability flowing through him. RIP Diego.

3 Likes