Diego Maradona Appreciation Thread

One hell of a life shortened by a horrible cocaine addiction which ultimately led to this, a sporting icon, RIP.

Different class.

A’s.

2 Likes

Football will never be the same again.

The soul is gone, watching the Totti documentary the other night really brought that around, the raw passion and soul of it has been reduced. You could never imagine the current generation of footballer growing up in a way which was them just fulfilling their dreams, chasing their passion.

12 Likes

Totti’s documentary was fucking amazing

2 Likes

where can you watch that

It’s thought that the drug addiction came about from when the butcher of seville demolished his ankle and he had to take injections every day for the rest of his life.

cortisone and whatever else they were giving him

I only recently read interviews with Johnny Giles and Alan Hansen both of whom faced Maradona as a boy in the late 70s.

They said that he was out of this world at that age.

RTE needs to clear its schedule and play the QF, SF and Final of the 86 World Cup for the rest of the evening

8 Likes

It was on sky documentaries the other night

1 Like

It was beautiful.

Francesco is a very humble guy, the bit about Giannini coming to his birthday party and him being awestruck was great. There was that innocence to footballers back then that you don’t get now, 17 year olds having agents looking for 100k a week. The game is gone.

1 Like

He took some abuse

What struck me also was his ability to perform at that extraordinary level and get the best out of his teammates while at the same time all the external forces of cocaine, the mafia, media, alcohol and relationship issues that were all going on in the background. The mental and physical resolve he had was unreal.

3 Likes

That fucker should have been jailed for that challenge. Outrageous.

I think a few things contributed to his drug use. I think he had a party lifestyle in him, given his ability he had ferocious pressure and cocaine was freely available. Then he got hooked and it killed him.

So sad.

Everyone needs a few hobbies

Apparently he partied Sunday to Wednesday in Naples and then traìned like a mad yoke from Wednesday to Saturday to get himself ready for a match on Sunday afternoon. He was a pure bred.

10 Likes

RIP

The Greatest

2 Likes

even Ewan agrees

Ewan MacKenna
@EwanMacKenna

Will leave in-depth tributes on Diego Maradona to others but greatest of all for me and, like most true geniuses, a deeply flawed human and tortured soul when not doing what he did best which was leaving people stunned at what should have been impossible.

1 Like

Seems like he surrounded himself with yes men and nobody could ever guide him. It was very funny at the time but he was in some state at that Argentina match at the 2018 World Cup