Digital TV pirates to pay six-figure sum to UPC

Wonder if this is the end of all those “magic” boxes

A firm caught illegally distributing digital TV boxes and software codes that would give free access to digital TV channels has been ordered to pay a six-figure sum to UPC Ireland and Nagravision.

The settlement between UPC Ireland and Nagravision in a case against Thomas Roddy, a large-scale distributor of illegal digital boxes in Ireland, brings to conclusion an investigation that began in November 2006.

A covert investigation, codenamed Operation Gaelic, revealed an extensive distribution network managed by Thomas Roddy, which involved the sale of illegal digital boxes and distribution of software codes that give access to digital TV subscription channels for free.

Both UPC and Swiss firm Nagravision SA, a Kudelski Group company, is firmly convinced that such legal actions are necessary in order to prevent the development of large-scale industrial piracy.

UPC said it is aware that these fraudsters have a wide-ranging underground distribution network, which supports this illegal activity.

Some consumers using these boxes on our network may be unaware that this is a civil wrong and criminal offence under Irish law, said Robert Dunn, CEO of UPC Ireland.

This investigation has also disclosed detailed intelligence of Roddys Irish distribution chain and individuals that purchased from this source. UPC is currently considering next steps as part of its ongoing anti-piracy investigations.

Dunn suggested some ambivalence may exist in public opinion as to the seriousness of the crime of TV piracy.

This may appear to be a victimless offence, but in reality, this causes substantial damage to legitimate Irish enterprises, which has an impact on peoples livelihoods. Like any black market activity, this act has serious financial consequences for the economy as a whole.

The case centres on infringement of Section 9 of the 1990 Broadcasting Act, and the remedies available under Section 15 of the same act deeming it illegal to use, sell or distribute decoders that intercept a protected TV signal.

In accordance with terms of the settlement, Thomas Roddy has agreed to pay a substantial six-figure sum and undertake not to engage in the import or sale of decoders. He has also been ordered over the next two years to work with UPC and Nagravision to disclose details of his distribution network and suppliers from outside Ireland.

We have always and will continue to provide significant support to our customers in taking legal action against pay TV pirates, said Andr Kudelski, chairman and chief executive officer of the Kudelski Group and Nagravision.

This case should act as a serious warning to others to steer clear of this type of activity. We take this matter extremely seriously in every part of the world, and will continue to work closely to protect our customers revenues and our respective legitimate commercial interests.

They’re certainly stepping up their campaign now.

The codes are getting changed far more regularly and there’s a new card getting issued in January to upgrade the encryption.

I actually think UPC have a very good product now (in Dublin) but their customer service still has a lot of improving to do.

There was some prick from UPC on Newstalk this morning talking about this. They’re trying to cut out all usage of the dodgy box early next year. He said everybody should just throw out their illegal boxes now and re-subscribe to their original packages.

When the presenter put it to him about their farcial customer service support he rehashed some bullshit about the company finding their feet in Ireland, making improvements and investing large sums of money. I heard him spout the very same shit on the Ray Darcy show about 9 months ago and nothing seems to have changed with them.

About time. Get Sky and pay like the rest of us.

I’d have some sympathy for him.

The facts are that NTL and particularly Chorus were horribly run. They left fuck all infrastructure behind (only a tiny broadband network and lots of shite cable) and a shite corporation behind it.

UPC bought it and they’ve improved plenty, particularly on the NTL side of things in Dublin which is where the revenue is at the start.

• Setanta is a good addition
  • Pricing is better than Sky
  • Broadband is excellent
  • Their DVR thing is pretty good

There’s lots of work still to be done but we’re lucky enough that UPC took over. Imagine Chorus had taken over the whole lot - a company that had no ambition and no strategic develeopment plans, all they were interested in was milking the existing network and running it into the ground.

I think UPC have done reasonably well. They invested in infrastructure before investing in customer service. Might not be the best way to do it but the better the infrastructure is the less customer service is needed so you can see why they tackled it like that.

When you see some of the shitty cable providers that exist in some apartment complexes and when you look at what was there before UPC I think they’ve done ok.

Their customer service is absolutely ridiculous though. I had problems before and it was 3 months before they could call on a Saturday.

[quote=“Mac”]Wonder if this is the end of all those “magic” boxes

A firm caught illegally distributing digital TV boxes and software codes that would give free access to digital TV channels has been ordered to pay a six-figure sum to UPC Ireland and Nagravision.

The settlement between UPC Ireland and Nagravision in a case against Thomas Roddy, a large-scale distributor of illegal digital boxes in Ireland, brings to conclusion an investigation that began in November 2006.

A covert investigation, codenamed Operation Gaelic, revealed an extensive distribution network managed by Thomas Roddy, which involved the sale of illegal digital boxes and distribution of software codes that give access to digital TV subscription channels for free.

Both UPC and Swiss firm Nagravision SA, a Kudelski Group company, is firmly convinced that such legal actions are necessary in order to prevent the development of large-scale industrial piracy.

UPC said it is aware that these fraudsters have a wide-ranging underground distribution network, which supports this illegal activity.

Some consumers using these boxes on our network may be unaware that this is a civil wrong and criminal offence under Irish law, said Robert Dunn, CEO of UPC Ireland.

This investigation has also disclosed detailed intelligence of Roddys Irish distribution chain and individuals that purchased from this source. UPC is currently considering next steps as part of its ongoing anti-piracy investigations.

Dunn suggested some ambivalence may exist in public opinion as to the seriousness of the crime of TV piracy.

This may appear to be a victimless offence, but in reality, this causes substantial damage to legitimate Irish enterprises, which has an impact on peoples livelihoods. Like any black market activity, this act has serious financial consequences for the economy as a whole.

The case centres on infringement of Section 9 of the 1990 Broadcasting Act, and the remedies available under Section 15 of the same act deeming it illegal to use, sell or distribute decoders that intercept a protected TV signal.

In accordance with terms of the settlement, Thomas Roddy has agreed to pay a substantial six-figure sum and undertake not to engage in the import or sale of decoders. He has also been ordered over the next two years to work with UPC and Nagravision to disclose details of his distribution network and suppliers from outside Ireland.

We have always and will continue to provide significant support to our customers in taking legal action against pay TV pirates, said Andr Kudelski, chairman and chief executive officer of the Kudelski Group and Nagravision.

This case should act as a serious warning to others to steer clear of this type of activity. We take this matter extremely seriously in every part of the world, and will continue to work closely to protect our customers revenues and our respective legitimate commercial interests.[/quote]

I actually know Mr.Roddy quite well. Very Sound chap indeed.Was very shook by the whole affair as you can imagine. Escaped prosecution tho so he can go on to fulfill his ambition…

The customer service of this shower is a joke. I subscribed to the Setanta package to get Racing UK but I had all the channels apart from it. Spent a total of something like 2 and a half hours phone time trying to resolve it. Eventually they say they’ll send a guy out to look at it. He’s due out on a Monday morning at 9am. Rings my phone at 8.55am - hangs up after 2 rings and reports it that there was no-one there. Does the same thing 2 more times that week before eventually coming out at 3pm on the Friday. Proceeds to sit himself down on the couch and watch Setanta Sports news for 20 mins. Presses a few buttons and says it’ll be fixed in 20 mins. Still not fixed 2 and a half hours later. Ring UPC back up like a raging bull and eventually find someone with half a brain cell more than everyone else who realises it was a basic error on their part and she can fix it. I hope she gets promoted!

And don’t get me started on their Direct Debit / Non Direct Debit charge. Their billing department are chancers of the highest order.

I’d still use them before Magnet though. BB speed is good. Never a problems with channels. The DVR thing has a bug in it but that can be worked around.

the fact that they have gone hard after the source of these boxes rather than trying to eliminate them through technical means says to me that they are still away off solving this problem.
then again i know fuckall about how these things work.
if it came down to it id probably pay for sky/setanta but id have a job to justify subscribing to tvX and the adult channel if it were cut off

The UPC (i.e. NTL) CEO was on Newstalk this morning. Twas gas as your wan Clare was reading out text after text of people slating thier shocking customer service and at first the guys reply was “oh but we as a company invest so much into Ireland and create jobs,etc,etc”. Eventually he admitted their customer service was/is brutal but huge improvements are being made. Hmmm.

Does anyone else here get a unbelievable amount of spam mail in their letterboxes from NTL? I have received on average one letter a week from them for the last 2 and a half years! Most people on my apt block are the same…it is a shocking waste of paper really.

[quote=“HBV*”]the fact that they have gone hard after the source of these boxes rather than trying to eliminate them through technical means says to me that they are still away off solving this problem.
then again i know fuckall about how these things work.
if it came down to it id probably pay for sky/setanta but id have a job to justify subscribing to tvX and the adult channel if it were cut off[/quote]

It’s not UPC encryption - it’s encryption that’s used across Europe and they just buy the rights to it. Sky use a different proprietary system that hasn’t been hacked I don’t think. UPC can’t really invest in the system anymore than Virgin in the UK or whoever else operates around the continent.

meaning there’s little they can do to block signals to starview/euroboxes, etc without completely overhauling their technology?

Exactly. But they’re not doing it on their own - the same problem exists throughout Europe and so it’s not a case of UPC having to overhaul their technology, the whole thing will need to change.

Even looking at the case above you can see that Nagravision took the case with UPC. They’re the software crowd and it’s they who need to come up with the new changes. That will mean system changes but presumably an updated card as opposed to an updated box itself. They’ll have spent loads on it though, because their product is useless once it’s been compromised.

Whats the deal then with those satellites you can buy in Lidl / Aldi / Tesco? Are they legit?