Faldo's DIY General thread

Cunts like that should be taken out and shot but in saying that it happened in an estate up near me the contractor was a fuckin cheapskate and hired a load of Lithuanian “blocklayers” to build an estate and they never put in any dpc, the houses are all damp with mildew everywhere and no chance of selling them

This weekend- Hung two (2) mirrors, one on plaster wall, one on concrete. Have wall-papered a wall, run saor view cable across the room, cutting/joining and tacking down. 6 of those flat round Philips light bulbs changed. Bed disassembled and put in attic. One plug changed. And watched the the Denver D break my heart in pieces…

All in all, some good manly stuff completed that I haven’t had to do in years.

4 Likes

Outstanding. Did you have a beer afterwards? .I think a man workin’ feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds after. That’s only my opinion.

1 Like

Revenant levels of manliness.

I didn’t get a chance, pal…I also had to help princess’ mother Saturday/Sunday…she’s moving house and I got roped into all kinds of pulling and lifting before heading back up to my place doing more of the same. I’m heading up to Limerick on the red eye now and I’m gonna hop @Joe_Player head off a wall.

4 Likes

Spring loaded toggles are probably best.

What kind of light bulbs mate? Spots or bulbs? If bulb screw in or bayonet?

You taking the motorway?

2 Likes

Dublin DIYers should note that there is a super little electrical factors near the back door of Arnotts there on Abbey Street.

Spots pal… with those annoying clips to keep them in place… a cunt to get in.

The trick with spots is to switch to LEDs. The halogen spots are a cunt - you spend your life up and down a ladder replacing them and they use more energy on heat that light. Switch to LEDs. The quality of light out of them has improved massively in the last couple of years, they waste no energy on heat and compared to halogens they last forever so once you replace the bulbs you can put away the ladder for years. They are more expensive but they are well worth it.

5 Likes

I’m going to switch to LEDs after reading that. I’m sick of changing the cunting yokes, and half of the units aren’t secured properly so it’s a bitch trying to get the bulb back in.

1 Like

Go to Trade Electric on Gerald griffin St

1 Like

They are pricy. But every time a halogen failed I replaced it with an led so it was all done in a couple of years.

LED’s are the business. An expensive enough outlay but you definitely save in the long run.The problem with halogens is the heat they create, in say a kitchen ceiling the heat build up makes them blow faster and obviously if you aren’t careful with insulation and the like they can be a fire hazard. I moved into the house just over 4 years ago and have only had to change one LED bulb in that time.

2 for €8.00 in Grange Electrical @Fagan_ODowd, go to the counter, not the ones on the shelf.

1 Like

That’s great. They’ve come right down in price. When I started doing this 5-6 years again they were about 12 euros each.

That sounds reasonable.
I have a feeling LED bulbs are going to change my life in ways I never thought possible

I cut across that way most days on my way home. I have a few bulbs to replace so I’ll call there this evening. This is going to be unreal.

Two more mirrors up there, a couple of units assembled… I’ve a chirping fire alarm that just won’t stop…have changed battery and the sticker on it says it’s good until next Jan…should I just replace the cunting thing? I don’t want to give up here but I’m in danger of taking a hammer to it.