Faldo's DIY General thread

I’m curious @Rocko what do you think will happen if you push the blockage a brush length away?

That doesn’t look great btw, it’d be a massive coincidence if the blockage just formed right under the manhole so it probably goes a way down. Can you crack open the second cover and see if it’s blocked there as well? That could be further down the drain or a separate drain altogether.

For Fucks Sake, spoiler than shit, some of us are eating as we read TFK.

Probably should have waited for those responses but I went ahead and tried it with a mop. Sort of just broke everything up and kept flushing. The fact the water drained slowly as opposed to not at all and the other toilet working fine probably means it was just one blockage I hope.

Anyway I didn’t just shovel the shit on, I broke it up plenty with some circular and stabbing motions. And eventually it just kind of gulped and started to drain itself. Went to the next drain and completely clear and then a third drain (where it joins with other toilet) and that was clear too.

Then put some food dye down and flushed a couple of times and the dye passes clean through all 3 drains. I’m fucking thrilled with myself. Never been so proud. I guess there’s a chance it’s stuck somewhere under the garden now but I think it’s unlikely based on how the water is moving and how it moved through the other drains so quickly. More of a chance that #57 will have a problem soon but I think this was an isolated local blockage. Thanks everyone for your help.

Before

After

5 Likes

Great success @Rocko

Outstanding! What a victory for TFK. What a victory for Rocko!

Delighted to have sorted that for you Rocko.

Well done mrs rocko. Best do #57 a favour and have her throw the mop over the wall. They’ll be needing it soon.

2 Likes

That post needs more than a like button, we love it!

But seriously, WTF were you doing posting that photo above?

legendary stuff.

On a regular basis now Rocko don’t neglect to fill all the baths and sinks and simultaneously empty them and flush the toilets at the same time.
It’s good to flush your waste pipes with the volume of water going through them all in one go… It’ll either flush them out or flood the place. How confident are you that you unblocked them yesteday.

1 Like

12kg mirror on a plaster board wall… I know finding the stud is best, but what fixtures if I’m going into the bord itself?

Ring Kev.

@Gman… Are studs now usually fixed 16inches apart rather than 24?

Depends on the plaster board. You can do 24 inches on about 12mm board, but any thing smaller would have to be at 16 inches. you can get a plasterboard wall plug, just check the loading it can take and the board thickness.

There are plasterboard fixings that mushroom out behind the board and spread the load. With that weight you’d want to be dealing with a double slab wall not single. You’d get them In woodies I’d imagine. 12kg might be pushing it.

What kind of a joker puts studs 24 inches apart

1 Like

@gman and @Ambrose_McNulty have given you the answer here pal. Barring you’re putting up a monster of a mirror you’ll be grand. I put up a TV bracket once with them.

1 Like

I’d like to say you’d be surprised, but I’m sure you can imagine a lot of it done. Especially in shitty development housing, even tho one of the worst efforts of construction was in a ten house multi million development I was involved in to fix. To save money, the original contractor didn’t bother with dpc’s in foundations or around opes. Houses were sold for up to €2m each, all had to be torn apart and completely gutted and re done. Some cowboys out there.

1 Like

Was there an engineer to sign off?

I don’t know, it was a private development so there should have been. Would have been built in 2007 or there abouts. The fix cost more than the initial build, never mind the court cases some owners also took to get their money back.