Documentaries worth watching

I’d live to see TG4 pick up the rights for a highlights show. In fairness the IRFU has doen a great job in putting together some highlights for twitter

1 Like

I think all the games in top 3 tiers are videoed and shared in a central repository for coaches etc. I may have made that up too… But I’m pretty sure someone told me that!!

Nope that’s 100% correct. Few years back shady deals and cash qere exchanged between clubs to get a hold of other videos.

1 Like

Brent Pope is a gas man by all accounts. Some great stories of his tomfoolery over the years.

Watched the Marco Pantani documentary on Sky there last week.

Good enough but a little contradictory in that they feature a lot of his close friends and family insinuating that he was set up when he was disqualified from the Giro form the Giro in 1999 and seem to make quite the case for it. Then they fail to link he eventual revelation that he was working with Conconi back to the disqualification.

For me the real story was that Pantani was unable to mentally deal with being put in a position where he had no choice but to dope, due to the pressure put on him by those paying his wages. In a clean Peleton he would have hammered anyone going and he knew that.

2 Likes

One of the lads highly recommended Hands on a Hardbody to me over the weekend. Basically a 90 minute doc on that Texas messing where ya win a truck if ya can keep your hand on it the longest (generally over 3 days).

Christ above it lives up to the hype. I’d rank it up there with Grizzly Man in terms of a great exploration into the human spirit.

Would highly recommend it.

He was filthy throughout his pro career

Yeah and seemed yo be at odds with it from day one. He would have been under massive pressure from teams to dope regardless of what he wanted and, from what I saw in the documentary, had difficulty living with it. This only got worse when everything came out after 1998/9.

He was supremely talented naturally, like Lemond, and I reckon would have won without it u like Armstrong & Co.

It’s often been suggested that Lemond was the last man to win the TDF clean. Would that be accurate?

Can’t think of any other since him that might have been clean. Up to and including Froome anyhow.

1 Like

Yeah. Definitely.

Basso was a huge talent that wouldn’t dope and was basically bullied out of the sport by Armstrong and his cronies.

Kimmage was similar so it’s not hard to see how he became bitter with almost everything afterwards.

You mean Christope Basson. Ivan Basso was filthy as well.

1 Like

Spot on.

I only got around to watching Three Kings there tonight.

A good watch, very well made and produced.

Three completely different characters from a close proximity who defined British football in the same generation.

Stein has to go down as the greatest of the lot. Busby after him and Shankly third.

Think Shankly came across as the one I’d most have liked to play under though. Had that bit of fire and steel to him, Busby came across as a player friendly, facilitator who let things look after themselves (a bit like Ancelotti in today’s game) and Stein was more of an inbetween of the two but probably more like Shankly than Busby.

I hadn’t known an awful lot about either Busby or Shankly prior to that other than they presided over United and Liverpool in successful periods in the 60s/70s. Busby was a Catholic and came from Irish stock, didn’t know that.

The New York Times Day of Rage about the capital riots is up for an Oscar for best short documentary. A director and writer of it is Malachy Browne from Broadford Co Limerick. Would he be the first west limerick man to win an Oscar?

Good list. I’ve only seen three of them so plenty to check out

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0418/1132278-10-great-documentaries-you-may-not-have-seen/

1 Like

Has someone from east Limerick won an Oscar?

2 Likes

Harris was robbed in '63

He wasn’t really. Peck got it that year.

Bruno v Tyson on Sky Documentaries.

Great watch.

Tyson was a horrible fucking animal.