Documentaries worth watching

I had a look to see if there was a thread on documentaries and couldn’t find anything so I started this.

Just finished watching a documentary called “Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father”. I recommend it.

Overview:
Andrew Bagby, 28, was a boyfriend of Shirley Jane Turner, a Canadian-American general practitioner, then 41.
She allegedly shot and killed him in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, on November 5, 2001.

It is not a million miles from Capturing the Friedmans which is also well worth watching.

Overview:
Capturing the Friedmans is a documentary film directed by Andrew Jarecki. It focuses on the 1980s investigation of Arnold and Jesse Friedman for child molestation. Jarecki initially was going to make a film about children’s birthday party entertainers in New York, including the popular clown David Friedman.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]I had a look to see if there was a thread on documentaries and couldn’t find anything so I started this.

Just finished watching a documentary called “Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father”. I recommend it.

Overview:
Andrew Bagby, 28, was a boyfriend of Shirley Jane Turner, a Canadian-American general practitioner, then 41.
She allegedly shot and killed him in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, on November 5, 2001.

It is not a million miles from Capturing the Friedmans which is also well worth watching.

Overview:
Capturing the Friedmans is a documentary film directed by Andrew Jarecki. It focuses on the 1980s investigation of Arnold and Jesse Friedman for child molestation. Jarecki initially was going to make a film about children’s birthday party entertainers in New York, including the popular clown David Friedman.[/QUOTE]

capturing the friedmans is brilliant

is dear zachary in the cinema or on DVD?

Good thread. :thumbsup:

I’ll be interested to see peoples suggestions.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]capturing the friedmans is brilliant

is dear zachary in the cinema or on DVD?[/QUOTE]

Well, DVD I’d reckon.

Documentary on BBC4 now about Daniel Carleton Gajdusek
Might turn in to a Capturing the Friedmans type show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carleton_Gajdusek

saw over the last few years
the high cost of low prices - watchable
czech dreams - sligtly boring
spellbound - good
dogtown & zboys - ok
grizly man- good
man on wire = good
march of penguins - good if slightly too anthropomorphic
the aristocrats - good
the corporation- slightly boring but some good facts such as IBM working with the nazis

How long before some banal cunt comes on and suggests When We Were Kings? You always get those idiots early on in a thread like this.

thriller in manilla is pretty good- makes Ali look like a cunt

When we were kings

top class stuff:thumbsup:

[quote=“north county corncrake”]saw over the last few years
spellbound - good
dogtown & zboys - ok
grizly man- good
man on wire = good
the aristocrats - good
the corporation- slightly boring but some good facts such as IBM working with the nazis[/QUOTE]

wouldhave to say I rate grizzly man very highly, the bit where yerwan plays the sound recording of treadwell getting ripped to bits and herzog’s reaction is brilliant.

the smartest guys in the room about enron is a great documentary as is falling man about one of the guys who jumped from tower 2 in the WTC, C4 do great documentaryies :thumbsup:

Fiorsceal on tg4 last night was about the oul far right around Europe, fierce interesting so it was. Few Italians I know would be well into it but it’s something we tend not to talk about when meeting for a pint.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]Documentary on BBC4 now about Daniel Carleton Gajdusek
Might turn in to a Capturing the Friedmans type show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carleton_Gajdusek[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was so wrong!!!

Well worth a watch if it’s on again!
20 minutes of a man justifying being a paedo.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil is superb, although maybe that’s a rockumentary and doesn’t count.

Spellbound was on RTE today, that was great.

Anyone see Bus 174? First part is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YFVr4R_g7Q
but not the rest I don’t think. Powerful stuff about a Brasilian hoodlum and a hostage situation on a Rio bus.

Seen lots of other good docs but I can’t think of them right now. Can’t beat a good doc in fairness.

Inside The Coup - The documentary made by some irish crowd on Hugo Chavez. Some great footage in it.

Anything by John Pilger.

Also, When We Were Kings. Fantastic stuff.

[quote=“Thrawneen”]Anvil! The Story of Anvil is superb, although maybe that’s a rockumentary and doesn’t count.

Spellbound was on RTE today, that was great.

Anyone see Bus 174? First part is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YFVr4R_g7Q
but not the rest I don’t think. Powerful stuff about a Brasilian hoodlum and a hostage situation on a Rio bus.

Seen lots of other good docs but I can’t think of them right now. Can’t beat a good doc in fairness.[/QUOTE]Hoodlum ??? Google the Candelaria massacre .The man was a product of his enviroment FFS

I was watching something (title of it escapes me) a few weeks ago about far right rock bands. All completely off their fucking rocker, horrible little people.

When we Were Kings is brilliant as well. Has anyone seen it?

Now that I think of it - I was reading a thing in Rolling Stone (yes I know, its become awfully middle class and boring, but there’s still some interesting stuff in it) about blokes who think they are actually superheroes (in real life like) - truly fascinating. It was a good article, you’d have to be sympathetic to them, mental as they are.

Someone should make a doco about these lads, very entertaining -

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/25020634/the_legend_of_master_legend

Master Legend - Real Life Superhero - At you service

Methinks an avatar change is in the offing.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]saw over the last few years
spellbound - good
dogtown & zboys - ok
grizly man- good
man on wire = good
the aristocrats - good
the corporation- slightly boring but some good facts such as IBM working with the nazis[/QUOTE]

I never rooted for a bear as much in my life. Was gutted they didnt show the dumb cunt being ripped limb from limb.

Also, When We Were Kings, Epic.

I know that, I watched the thing, but I wasn’t going to write
“Powerful stuff about a Brasilian product of his environment and a hostage situation on a Rio bus”.