Does anyone here actually really like their work? PS please could you give a clue as to what you do if so

Force majeure leave

If you have a family crisis, you have a right to limited time off work. This is called force majeure leave.

You may need to take force majeure leave for an urgent family reason, such as the unexpected injury or illness of a ‘close family member’.

A close family member includes:

• Your child (including an adopted child)
  • Your husband, wife or partner
  • Your parent or grandparent
  • Your brother or sister
  • Someone to whom you have a duty of care (for example, if you are acting in place of a parent, also known as loco parentis)
  • Someone with whom you have a relationship of ‘domestic dependency’ (this means the person relies on you to make arrangements for their care)
  • Persons of any other class (if any) as may be prescribed

If a close family member has died, you do not have an entitlement to force majeure leave. Instead, you may be able to take ‘compassionate leave’ – read more about compassionate leave below.

It’s an anti fraud requirement in a lot of financial institutions where some people have to take two weeks continuous leave.

Not sure if it’s applicable to this but I think By the letter of the law your employer can insist on when you take your annual leave but generally they don’t.

Depends on the industry usually. The likes of builders etc always seem to take the same two weeks. With ourselves. we are asked to submit our two weeks before the end of March. If not they usually leave it go until June and then tell you what window is available.

Yep in most places it’s by agreement but if push comes to shove the employer can insist.

Assuming no pension contrib etc prob what was throwing me

1 Like

Yeah, I know of people in bank branches etc having to take two weeks off but didn’t think they’d be told to take two weeks while only taking a day or two off for a family emergency.

1 Like

Tell me about it :man_shrugging:

I’m always told when I have to take my holidays :neutral_face:

10 Likes

I got lucky in 2018. We had nothing planned and I hadn’t booked anything. My two weeks started the day after the All Ireland

1 Like

:joy: :fishing_pole_and_fish::fishing_pole_and_fish:

Twas all new back then , now you’d be back in work Monday morning after another limerick win

1 Like

As I said to a fella earlier today, I’ve seven more weeks teaching to do over the next six months :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Nah, just the Monday and Tuesday now. In my salary review this year, they decided that Id get an extra rolling bank holiday for the monday after the AIF but id have to take the Tuesday as a holiday. Fair compromise I suppose :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve a relatively handy gig but most of it is done on a laptop and involves plamasing, which wears you down eventually. Iv convinced myself that il pack it in before long and spend my days laying hedges - I’ve a week long hedge laying course arranged and all for next autumn. The idea of being outdoors and chatting to farmers before doing a days work with the dog at my side seems bliss.

18 Likes

It does…in how many of these imaginary days is it pelting down with rain?

7 Likes

Will you leave the poor fucker alone with his dream. Laying hedges sounds deadly. Apparently golf groundsmen have massive job satisfaction

2 Likes

I do a good bit of hiking these days, the worse the weather the more enjoyable as long as I have the kit. Il let the dog sit in the car them days though.

1 Like

Ahhh, I have long held out my dream job as a 3 day week doing golf green keeper.

But an acquaintance ruined it by saying you spend all your time on a mower and get a bad back as a result.

1 Like

Change your dream slightly to laying hedges. You, halfpipe and the dog. It’ll be perfect.

I can’t drive by a hedge with gaps in it now without seeing the potential that could be unleashed when I start my new career. Useful assistants will be needed considering the state of Irelands European funded hedges

8 Likes