Does whiskey go off after its been open for a bit?

Sounds like a blast — but not sure Ardbeg is at its best in such a context, putting it mildly… A light whisky, such as Glenlivet or a nice blend, would be better.

But who thinks of ‘better’, finishing off that kind of blast… I certainly did not, younger days. Entirely beside the point.

A funny one — and more Pseuds Corner — but one of the best things to drink at the end of a big night out, as you think you are becoming oddly sober again (but of course you are not), is champagne. So I found, in my younger days. Strangers often agree with me, as we reminisce about youth.

1 Like

Can’t argue with champagne. More of a breakfast drink though

Exactly!

1 Like

I can’t abide the stuff (champagne)
It makes my eyeballs swell with a hangover.
I think it is the most overrated drink on the planet, which is some going. You can buy a lovely memorable white wine for the price of a bogstandard champagne.

You’re spoiling my breakfast!!

@malarkey, I tend to avoid whisky as I was never really a top shelf man, but when I did drink it, I’d put ice in it usually. I suspect this was/is largely because it waters it down and actually takes the edge off it. I do the same, often as not, with white wine now, even a goodish one, unless someone else has opened it. I wonder if this isn’t the main reason many people use ice/water, just so it doesn’t taste so strongly alcoholic.

Did you just admit to putting ice in white wine?

1 Like

That’s what the sophisticated Diddlesbury set do.

1 Like

I did. What of it?

It’s a bit odd, especially with a decent wine.
The only people I’ve ever seen put ice in white wine are old wans.

And priests

1 Like

Not in good stuff, but I’ll put it in anything up to half decent if I paid for it. I’d never put it in something someone else bought.

… and Italians.

You make two excellent points.

Yes, even moderately priced champagne is expensive by comparison with good white wine. I bought this bottle (for about €25) in Worldwide Wines for Christmas dinner last year and it was gorgeous. Savennieres is really underrated, I think, and even really nice examples are not so pricey:

€25 does not grab much good champagne. Was being a bit jokey about post-blast champagne, of course, but I take your point, which is a far wider one. Still, champagne can be the absolute business. This one is excellent and less than €40:

https://lecaveau.ie/shop/gobillard-grande-reserve-1er-cru-nv/

Equally, I had never thought about ice reducing the prominence, taste wise, of alcohol. You are probably right. I like the taste of alcohol, by and large, and so ice does not appeal, save in gin and tonic.

You mug.

2 Likes

Did a bit of shopping there earlier

7 Likes

Should help pass the next 3 weeks.

1 Like

A pleasant half hour
The Food Programme - Japanese Whisky: A Beginners Guide - @bbcradio4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2gym3

2 Likes

Green Spot is nicer than Yellow Spot in my opinion

:rollseyes: