Donegal GAA Thread

@Nembo_Kid what can you tell me about the new Donegal team coach Richard Thornton?

He seems to be quite highly regarded and has a good track record to date. Was a decent underage player back in his day but seemed to fall off the radar all of a sudden.

Lots of Tyrone men making their name in the managerial coaching reigns outside the county now - McGleenan at Cavan, Dinky McBride with the Monaghan u21s, the likes of Porter and Thornton now being part of the backroom teams of the Monaghan and Donegal senior sides.

Have we heard all we are going to hear on the Donegal retirement front yet?

I would have felt Lacey, Thompson and Gallagher would have called it a day by now? Have they announced their squad for 2017 yet?

Not officially. Only Colm McFadden and Eamon McGee have made it official so far.

I can’t see Thompson making it this year, he at nothing this year. Big Neil might give it one last shot after missing out on most of this year. Lacey isn’t past it yet so it’ll depend on how the knee goes and how he feels when the serious training starts again.

If they can get a year with those guys coming off the bench when they bring through some of the U21s then you’d have a seamless enough transition to the next generation.

Gillespie looked good last year and I’d imagine he’ll nail a place down in defence this year.

Midfield would be the biggest concern, they need to get some new faces in here and take up the mantle.

The forward line would actually still be quiet young - Murphy is the elder statesman in it by now at 27/28 with only McLoone around that age.

Eoin McHugh, MacNiallais, McBrearty, O’Reilly are all under 25 and then you have a few of the younger guys like McBrearty Jr, Darrach O’Connor etc as well as the other lads from the past minor sides coming through.

McGlynn and Neil McGee still have a lot to offer and McGrath and Ryan McHugh were superb last year so defence isn’t a major cause for concern.

1 Like

Stephen McBrearty is away to the US for the Summer.

What club in the US is bringing him over?

Not confirmed yet according to Gallagher. McBrearty was disappointed with his league gametime, and his form in the U21

Probably a good club sandwich for starters . I think more of these lads who have been through the whole development squads and underage sets up will be wanting a bit of a gap year at 21 and 22 . Hard to blame them and they could well be the better for it .

Dunno but if I was betting I’d say the the Donegal GAA Club in New York or Boston.

Should be a few more Donegal 21s travelling?

He’s looked fairly average for Donegal. Disappointing progression from minor where he was the main man for them when they made the AI final in 2014.

He was a smashing prospect at Minor. A summer on the beer might do wonders for him.

Jason Magee and Eoghan Ban Gallagher heading for AFL trials with Brisbane Lions.

There will be no decent G double A players left in Ireland

1 Like

Karl Lacey is rumoured to be joining Bonner’s set up.

He’s been coaching the Co development sides already apparently.

Pat Shovelin, goalkeeping coach under McGuiness, lost fight to cancer today.

RIP

Jesus, that’s very sad. A young man with a young family too.

RIP.

1 Like

Just heard this news, 41, fucking hell

Two young kids as well. A 16 month old and the first was born the Wednesday before the final in 2012.

Fucking tragic.

Former Tanaisre Mary Coughlan has been nominated for the Co Chair position.