Donegal GAA Thread

What category of shock would Mullinalaghta vs Kilmacud fall under?

Cat iii)

A combination of i) and iii).

I think there’s a thing in sport where certain teams don’t like having the favourites tag thrust upon them. These are often teams who have not yet achieved ultimate success, or have a history of bottling it.

In club GAA, there’s definitely a thing where GAA teams from upper middle class areas aren’t particularly comfortable with the favourites tag. This also extends to Irish rugby.

Mullinyokta taking down Kilmakud Krokes was a bit like a hypothetical debate where Jonathan “Irishman” Glynn keeps shouting “it’s fuckin bullshit” and eventually humbles the more considered stylings of Jonathan Philbin Bowman through sheer repetition and vocal backing from a crowd of drunk muckmonsters in the audience.

Cork v Kerry 2020, Glynn Barntown dethroning 6 in a row chasing Oulart in a quarter-final (2014) and Stradbally beating Portlaoise (2016) would fall into this category. Although I have an inkling that Kerry may have had a chance to draw level after Mark Keane’s late goal.

1 Like

Kilkenny hurling can never be accused of an ‘ambush’.

It’s like saying Real Madrid could ‘ambush’ someone. They are historically too big and successful for said word to ever apply to them.

Back to McGuinness, it would be a sensational return were it to happen.

The Messiah returns. They say never go back but you’d imagine his return will totally lift the gloom in the county.

Every player in the county will be desperate to play for him.

1 Like

I wonder if Michael Murphy is too far gone to contemplate a return?

I don’t believe so. As was the case in 1983 against Cork. Final whistle went immediately.

They did have a chance to equalise against Offaly in 1982 alright.

1 Like

There’s another year in Murphy. But you’d imagine McGuinness project will be a two or three year thing so it may be a bit pointless bringing him back

Colm McFadden had a resurgence in his thirties under Jimmy in 2014 to be fair. Murphy will be 3-4 years older than McFadden was though by the start of next years championship. Like Joe Canning in Galway he’d still do a job.

McGuinness should bring him back for one year to fulfil the Kevin Cassidy role. Murphy to score the winning point with the last kick of extra-time in an All-Ireland quarter-final against Galway, followed by banishment and sitting with a sourpuss on his face in the telly studio as Donegal win the 2025 All-Ireland with Michael Langan banging in 2-2 in the final against Mayo.

From reading McGuinness’s book (which is excellent by the way) him and Murphy are very tight so I can’t see a fall out happening.

Although with McGuinness you’d never know,

I was pissed off with TG4 showing Naomh Conaill v St. Eunan’s on Sunday, but looks like they’ve made an inspred choice.

McGuinness confirm, his brother in law Colm Mcfadden and Neil McGee part of the back room team.

Former minor manager Luke Barrett (Amber’s brother) also in the back room team.

Nothing about Lacey. I reckin he’ll be back over the academy.

I’m surprised with Luke and Neil being added. Neil might be brought in to instill a needed nasty grit in the defense. Luke might be doing video analysis or something similar to Maxi’s role in the last stint. Yeah, Lacey’s absence is a surprise but it could indicate a return to the academy or that he’s keeping his distance altogether until certain board members leave. There’s more backroom names to be announced, so more to come!

1 Like

Wonder if Gary Wilson will be physical coach?

He worked with Barrett on the minors.

No idea, but Eugene Eivers has resigned as S&C with Meath in the last few days so it may indicate he could be involved in some capacity with the group.

1 Like

Iconic stuff.

2 Likes

Murphy stepped away to give himself a break before going again. The band will be got back together.

Anton McFadden, colms brother Jim’s brother in law could be s&c!! Think he did the role previously under bonnar was part of 2012 panel